Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I went snowmobiling in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (U.P.) on Wednesday and Thursday took a while to get there from Minnesota but it was worth it. They have about a foot nice trail riding a little rough in some spots on Thursday. This weekend it will get beet down all hotels/motels booked with snowmobilers, groomers won't be able to keep up. Well what happened was on Thursday we stopped on the trail for a groomer to pass by in a tight spot and I noticed my snowmobile idling really fast and engaging the clutch which it never did before. Shut it off and checked it out, turns out the fan belt had broke, had to tow it 15 miles to the nearest town, then had to ride double on my dad's REV for 65 miles to get the truck so we could go pick up the snowmobile. We had to stop once because my dad's 600 was not getting enough snow to cool it down and the warning light came on while we were pulling mine. We noticed something when we finally went to pick it up the parking brake was engaged the whole time we pulled it because we locked the brake to take the belt off and forgot to disengage it, that however did no damage anything because snow just built up under the locked track and then it slid. What a crazy day!!

Without that groomer coming by I would have never noticed the broken belt and I would have fried the motor. WOW was I lucky!!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
fan belt???????what kind of sled has a fan belt?do you mean water pump belt?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I'm guessing that a MXZ 440 [red]Fan[/red] has a fan belt!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Not to be a dink, but where are you find a foot of snow in MI that has groomers out.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Originally posted by rev500ss
[br]I'm guessing that a MXZ 440 [red]Fan[/red] has a fan belt!
got a picture of one... I have never seen one.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
http://216.37.204.206/xtremepowersports/Skidoo_OEM/Skidoo.asp?Type=13&A=354&B=1

that's for a 2000 mxz 440 fan, I'm not sure what year his sled is as it doesn't say but the fans are driven by a belt

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
[attachment=53994]

does this sled have an actual fan belt on it?

wow learn something new everyday!!fans I have had did not have 1

Attachments

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Looks like a 2000, I'd say yes but it's hard to tell from the pic. check the sled's part list on the link below, It will show you one way or the other!

http://216.37.204.206/xtremepowersports/Skidoo_OEM/Skidoo.asp

·
Registered
542 Posts
Originally posted by pooxcsp500
[br][attachment=53994]

does this sled have an actual fan belt on it?

wow learn something new everyday!!fans I have had did not have 1
Fan cooled sleds you have had didnt have a fan?????
i am so confused.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think he was refering to the fan belt

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
How else would you drive a fan???
Other than a belt. (gear drive would suck too much power!)
I'm a little confused Myself!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
B.T.W. if you enlarge that pic, you can clearly see the belt channel cast into the sidecase.
Rick

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Originally posted by Festus33
[br]B.T.W. if you enlarge that pic, you can clearly see the belt channel cast into the sidecase.
Rick
hey dumb ass...they were air cooled sleds...they did not have a fan belt on some of them in the early years!!![attachment=54226] I see no fan belt on this fan cooled engine!!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts