Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to know what you guys think. I bought a 02' MXZ 800 RER about 2 months ago. It currently has 220 miles on it and the following has happened.
Blows fire out the exhaust on occasion, only when running wide open, then letting off completely.

Blew a front idler wheel, completely off, bearing and snapring still on, just no wheel.

I brought the sled in to another dealer, (the one i bought it from is 2 hrs away) for service. They replaced the wheel, wouldnt touch the fire problem b/c it was supposedly from gas sitting in the sled.

Got it home, rode on saturday. Another wheel came off, same one, opposite side.

BOTH carbides gone, front peice is all thats left on one side, other side a front pc and a rear pc. The runners themselves are completely gone.

What does this sound like to you? Improper prep? Just looking for imput, as i have NEVER seen this before.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Possibly...possibly...sounds like the dealer you bought it from used poor hardware. Not sure...as for the "fire"...I think that's from extra gas being dumped unburned into the expansion chamber. Cause would likely be wrong jets or way over rich. Curious to see what other members think... anyone??

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I know there was a recall on 2002 MXZ 800 for a change in jetting, I'd make sure yours recieved this change.....sounds like it might not have. I believe the jetting change also helped to increase the sleds range. As for the idler wheel and wear rods....I don't know......crappy parts?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sounds like someone forgot to tighten the idlers. Dont know what to tell you about the carbides, were you driving on dirt? That might explain the idlers too... :) The flames are just from unused gas getting into the exhaust and the pipe being so hot it ignites it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No dirt... some cornfields with 6-7" snow, still kind of rough, but the sled is made to handle that. Spoke with my dealer, wont do anything for me except replace the idler wheel, kinda pisses me off since i just spent 6500 there on the sled. Some dealers just dont know that the have to lose some to get more. Wont be going back to them...
Anyhow, what do you guys think of Saber carbides, i ordered a set of 8s from upnorthsports.com great site, awesome pricing. I love supporting the little guy and getting awesome prices.
Thanx for your input everybody

1 - 5 of 5 Posts