Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know that I had been looking into some skins for my sled. Well I got a pair of brand new red Polaris brand skins from ebay. Total was $35. Here is the catch the wont fit models prior to '93 the sled is a '92. Members on here said they will still fit so I got them. Well they are a totally different ski. So then I got a deal on some used steel skis the '93 and up style. Paid $50 for the set. So now Im up to $85 for f'ing skins to work on my sled. Well only $50 cause the g/f bought the skins for my b-day. Now heres another kick in the sac the install was a total nightmare. One ski came off the sled fine the other I had to pull the spindle and heat and beat the bolt out took 2 days to do. Then the skins were hell to put on looks like they are the exact size of the ski so trying to get them to stay under the skis sucked. So heres where Im at one skin stayed on and fits like it should nice and snug but the other one is far from it. It is sitting under the ski not snug and up and over the lip, there is a gap at the tip too. I fought and fough this f'ing think Im sick to death. Any trick on installing these? Here are some pics to help see what I mean...

Good Fit...

[attachment=52469]

Bad Fit...

[attachment=52470]

[attachment=52471]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
lol i had the same problem putting my skis on not ski skins but just installing new skis total nightmare it took me about 2 hours to diveise a plan but when i figured it out it was easy i to 2 huge metal c clamps and and clamped the bottom part of the spindle to the ski and then allighned the bold it voila it worked once you do that it dont take to long like 10 min a ski

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by proxJ
[br]
Originally posted by beran34
[br]You would have been better off to buy a pair of used plastis skis.
iam with him.
These are worthless post's I kind of figured that out all ready. Now I need help getting the skin to fit on the ski. I seems the skins are the same size of the ski, no give at all.

·
Registered
700 Posts
i put skins on my old skis and my dads ultra. They must have been a different brand because they had tabs that suck up in the front for a small blot to go across the very tip of the ski, just behind the ski loop. Was there to prevent the skin from tearing off i guess. Both sets fit on perfect. I found out which skins were the thickest in the JR Graham mag and bought those.
I do remember them not looking quite right at first but i heated them with the heat gun and when i tightened the skegs they sucked down good. I'd say tighten everything and if they still wont fit then send them back for replacements.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Originally posted by RED_XCR_440
[br]
Originally posted by proxJ
[br]
Originally posted by beran34
[br]You would have been better off to buy a pair of used plastis skis.
iam with him.
These are worthless post's I kind of figured that out all ready. Now I need help getting the skin to fit on the ski. I seems the skins are the same size of the ski, no give at all.
Thats the CYI talking... you should be used to that.

If both ski-skins are the same, and both ski's are the same.. should't be a problem. I had a ski skin fit like your "bad" picture once, I put a bolt thru the front instead of a rivit adn it was good to go for years. They are not a pair of underwear.

They are plastic skins over metal ski's.

Now, if you were to do this all over again, I would say that when you first got advice from here (which turned out to be false), you should have evaulated the source better. Kids on here like to spout off at the mouth just to post.

Second, when you realized they were wrong, you could have put them on here for sale for what you paid. You could have relisted them on ebay too.

Now, if the profile is a little goofy in the front, no big deal, bolt it up and ride. If the 2 skis are the same, 2 skins are the same, then its something else that you haven't checked.

If 2 skins/skins are not the same, your asking the wrong people WTF is going on because we can't figure it out for you, we did not make them.

end of story

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
ummm... get some carbines thats what i did to hold mine on. i had to cut my steel skis to fit cut the back off and chopped the front thinner. but they wouldnt fit right so i had to put runners/carbines on and it worked great.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Check the ski edge for slight bend from impact. If you straighten they should snap on, try a straight edge and hammer. The skins go on well when skis are new, clamping helps as posted before.

Good luck.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had to C-clamp the one that fits good, it was a total PITA. These are the new kind that dont need the bolt through the tip. I will pull the ski off and bring it inside to warm it up. Maybe heating the skin too will help to mold it to the ski. What a freaking joke they are Polaris brand too! If I cant get them I will sell to anyone in northern MN for $35 firm.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
i had worst nightmares with mine beleive me. start cutting ur skis that what helps lol

·
Registered
511 Posts
Have you tried taking a heat gun to the plastic?? heat it up slowly then try to form it to the ski, if it works clamp it until it hardens onto the ski and you should be good to go!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a 91 that had poorly fitting skins ,, here's what worked for me ..
brought machine into heated garage , C clamped loose skin,
warmed it up with a heat gun and adjusted the C clamp . then drilled hole near tip of skin and pop rivited the skin to the ski ..
only needed one per ski .. and it worked ... just finished a 225 mile run with lots of bush banging , river running and no problem

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the help guys but I think there may be some confusion here. First I put new style steel skis on my '92 so the skins would fit. See the skins I got will only fit skis '93 and up. I will heat the skin up and see if that helps. Also I already have the long studs on my carbides they are the Woody's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts