Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I need your help!

I have gone through 2 pair of ski skins on my 97 Indy 500 Carb. I want to buy plastic skis but I do not want to spend the money on high performance skis. This sled is mainly for trail riding and I just want something to fit the bill that will not rip apart every other ride. Where do I find used Plastic Skis and what brand do I buy? My last pair of Skins caught on something in the ditch and I flew off my sled and broke my Collarbone. No damage to the sled but you can see why I hate Skins! I need your HELP!!!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
wow man that sucks. I have searched for cheap plastics too but couldn't locate any. I wanted to put them on my heavy as a brick dipped in concrete Polaris XCR.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I bought a pair of Polaris composite skis for $100/pair. They were slightly used, but it came with good carbides too. I found them at HAYDAYS grass drags event in MN.
http://www.snobarons.com/home.html

Only bad thing is you'll have to wait til' September!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Check out the bone-yards around your area....just look for ski's off of a newer polaris...should work just fine. Prolly could just call the bone-yard and see how much they want for a pair. And as always the bone yards can have a little bargaining in there also. Hope this helps

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
http://www.royaldistributing.com/servlet/MiddleRedirect?page=204.html
someone posted this awhile back. seems like a good price too me. They don't look like the ones on my zrt though. have you checked ebay also?

1992 arctic cat jag deluxe
1996 ZRT 600

·
Registered
948 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by matthewmarsh:
http://www.royaldistributing.com/servlet/MiddleRedirect?page=204.html
someone posted this awhile back. seems like a good price too me. They don't look like the ones on my zrt though. have you checked ebay also?

1996 ZRT 600
[/quote]

I posted that link. Not sure I would recommend them for ditch banging. They seem a little too heavy and brittle to me. But they are economical even if you have to replace the bottom down the road. Prices are CDN.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
79 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Sled_Dog:
I wanted to put them on my heavy as a brick dipped in concrete Polaris XCR.
[/quote]
That's the truth!!! my xcr is very heavy but it has polaris plastic skis and i love them, if they were steel i would have broke them about 4 times already! they are about 3" thick in the middle and taper down to the back not the thin kind, DITCH to Skins!!!! go with plastic skis

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
btw, my jag has got ski skins. it was a difference of day and night when i put them on. and a good upgrade for only 50 bucks. but i wore one away once, searched 4 dealers, and finally one let me order just one skin. but after i got it home, i noticed it did not match. so i bought the other. now i got a left over skin that is the wrong shade of green
. i couldn't find a cheap pair of plastics for it. they all said it was too old. those ones on that link look like mostly metal!!!! with a plastic bottom. but you get what u pay for i guess. i would buy the nice ones instead........just my .02

1996 ZRT 600

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
ahh haydays annual grass drag& swapmeet....the only thing i have to look forward to now, as it is dubbed the official start of winter. if any of you live within reasonable driving distance, i reccomend you go,,,lots to see, and for you cat loyal, team arctic is there signing autographs, but if your in need of a hard to find part, if you cant get it there, you prolly will never get it. been going there for the past 3 years, and this year i plan to attend so i can pick up a hood for my xlt, should only cost me around 40 bucks. anyways, if your looking for composite skis, try haydays, never know what you will find in addition to your wanting to upgrade.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just wanted to also say that ski skins suck. They may make the sled slide easier but they also loose grip when cornering. If you want an aggressive setup you gotta have plastics, and sharp edged ones at that . Cat, and C&A Pro make good ones. this upgrade is far more benificial than reeds or pipes or clutch kits in the real world of trail riding. Just my two cents!!!

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help! I will let you know what I come up with. The Grass Drags/Swap Meet sounds like the best bet.
Ebay never has polaris skis, they only offer Ski Doo and Cat.
Any other advice? I am all Ears! Polaris The ONLY Way Out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts