Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ARE THEY GOOD OR BAD OR DOES IT DEPEND ON THE CONDITIONS?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I liked them on the ol' Xlt and they can help prevent skis from bending. They look good too. The sled really seemed to have less resistance as well on the snow.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
They seem to float over the snow a little easier but I noticed on a couple sleds that I put them on that it did not steer quite as well in the fluffy stuff because they are so smooth and no sharp edges.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I personally love my skins that I have put on all my sleds I've had. They saved me gas millage and also made it easier to break trails. And it was also nice to not have ice or snow freeze on the skins, like it would on just the metal ski.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Skis skins are decent but you might as well go with plastic skis and get the addded benefit of less weight, less resistance and they look great.

·
Registered
764 Posts
ya skins are nice for saving your steel skis from bending and wearing out, but u might as well get plastic skis that are made to not wear out, ALOT lighter then the steel skis and u can even get them colord of thats what u want.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by SleD_CrEW
[br]Do the skins cover up the carbide? I know my friend has them but I didn't noticed if they cover up the carbide..
No. The carbide bolts through the skin onto the ski.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
skins are great. unless you have an sx chassis yamaha when the carbides wear down alittle they dont even work thats why i just bought different skis

·
Registered
614 Posts
They are cheap protection against stones and gravel wearing out your steel skis. They also don't freeze over night and stick to ice and snow as much as steel. PUT EM ON you won't be sorry.
I wore out a plastic ski last year,( only the left one that sees more gravel running down the road) had to replace it this fall, $100 used[:(!]. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you dont have the funds to spare for a $300-$500 pair of plastic skis the $40-$50 skins seem ok..

·
Registered
349 Posts
Like someone said, skins are good. Plastic skis are better. But, plastic skis cost much more. Skins get my vote for best value on a budget.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had them on a Phazer they work nice the skis didn't have to be re-painted as often and they lasted quite a few years too. They're great if you don't have the money for plastic skis.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts