Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and galls, I think I want to find a set of skins for my stock steel skis. I have the Woody's carbids on them now so the stud length should be long enough. Im thinkin Red or Black. I want to spend UNDER $50 but cant seem to find any. Are they even worth it? Also every listing I see says for sleds '93-'97 or so and I got a '92. Please dont say get some C&A's I know that. I dont have $300 bucks for skis and the sleds a '92 so. What should I doo?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would these work? They say wont fit prior to '93 and I have seen others say '93 XCR 440 but never seen a '92 XCR 440...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-POLARIS-SNOWMOBILE-RED-SKI-SKIN-SET-SKIS-SKINS_W0QQitemZ280051884865QQihZ018QQcategoryZ100463QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SWEET!!! Cant beat that price! Wonder why they say that it wont fit prior to '93? Well if you say they will firt my '91 XCR 440 I will have to get them soon no snow yet but soon I hope!!! Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
You can get the ones that will fit from www.shadetreepowersports.com for $40.00. I just got some for my 90 indy. I saw those ones on ebay before but I shyed away because they said they won't fit. There has to be something different about them...you know the manufacturer doesn't want to make two different style ski skin if it's not necessary.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Don't waste your money on them. Get a set of plastic skis. Look on ebay. You can get polaris plastic skis dirt cheap.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
The Polaris dealer in Bemidji sells brand new POO plastic skis for 150.00 for a pair!! I'd go that route before the skins...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know that plastic skis are better no kidding...I just don't want to spend a lot on this sled even the Xtra 10 that is in it was out of another sled that I used the motor out of. So back to my first question are they a good upgrade from just steel to skins. You must think steel v plastic less drag by far so they got to be better right?

·
Registered
160 Posts
ya i cant say they made a big difference maybe made it a little easier to steer but they do save your skis so that one good thing about them i upgraded to a pair of simmions flex skis i cant wait to try them out. and even if you did buy a pair of plastic skis you can always take them off when you sell it and put them on your new sled like polaris skis fit on any polaris they change in 06 buit from 82 or what ever year it was they started the indepentdent int he front to 05 all use the same mounts kit. But i guess that depends if your going to buy another polaris

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
ive used skins and there a great way to go when your budget doesn't allow much more. my advice go for it, what can you loose?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea just ordered the red ones from ebay (see link above) hope they work good can be any worse...

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by RED_XCR_440
[br]I know that plastic skis are better no kidding...I just don't want to spend a lot on this sled even the Xtra 10 that is in it was out of another sled that I used the motor out of. So back to my first question are they a good upgrade from just steel to skins. You must think steel v plastic less drag by far so they got to be better right?
Yes the plastic has less drag but you are adding weight, so what ever you gained with the drag you lost with the added weight.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how much can they really weigh they are only plastic...too late they shipped today.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Just dont hit a construction sign thats laying down in a ditch. It ripped my skins and carbids right off. lol that sucked

·
Registered
80 Posts
yeaa have had about 3 sleds... and the first thing i did was put skins on them.... they are worth the $50 or w.e .. def will like them

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.