Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the purpose of ski spreaders? I am guessing to widen the skis for better handeling and less tipping? Also if this true are they recomended for older sleds with narrow skis? Oh are they universal fit?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes they work awesome on the older sleds. I grew up sledding alot in the 70's and my dad put the wideners on all the sleds we had. I currently have a 80 TXC 340 that I have put wideners on. Not only did they widen it to 39 inches center to center(witch is as wide as early 90's sleds) but they also add hieght to the front end.(helps in deeper snow). Also there suppose to make the sled handle like a heavier sled. This means nicer overall ride. And yes, they do all this. But, with wideners you loose the ski shock thats there to keep the sled from over bouncing. I rigged something up to keep the shock on, but did'nt last to long. So what I did is replaced my skis with even older leaf spring skis off say early 70 sleds. I used skis off a 72 skidoo tnt. They work awesome. Paid $5.00 each at a sled salvage yard. Now if your talking sleds with IFS, then I know they make them also but not sure on how those install or work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks for the info I am not familiar with IFS? Can you tell me what that is?

Also TXC its a 1978 skidoo olympic. Which I think has front leaf springs I am not sure however. Is there different types of spreaders I have did a search on google and saw one main kit on a few sites but didnt go into detail on applications.

Also off topic does anyone know if there is a Polaris Ventura? I think mid 80s a guy from work is trying to get m e info on one forsale and was gonna do some research on it. He also stated its a 500 tripple but another guy at work said the smallest tripple made was a 540?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I had a set for my old 1987 Yamaha Bravo, they work really good.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a set of spredders on an old 72 Polaris colt I use for ice fishing and in the woods to feed the deer.. They work good! on the old springers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts