Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the ski stance for a '97 Ultra with the XTRA-12 is? My sled is darting quite a bit and I think it's due to the ski's not being properly adjusted. Should they be toed in or out? Mine look to be toed out if that helps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
252 Posts
The skis should be toed out 1/8 to 1/4
The darting is normal unless your running duel carbides or on some
sleds ski skins help with trail darting.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Don't know the exact numbers for the stance on that sled... one of the polaris guys can tell you. You skis are supposed to be slightly toed out. However, it seems likely that your ski allignment is fine. If it was off it would more than like pull to one side consistantly. I think your problem is coming from too much ski pressure. Try loosening the front limiter straps on the rear skid. It will allow for more weight transfer and less ski pressure. Also try loosening up the front spring.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I will have to check my service or owner's manual to be sure, but I think the XTRA-12 calls for zero toe at full extension. This translates to about 3/4 inches +/- at normal ride height. There is lots of bump steer in the XTRA-12 front suspension, which is just a reality.

For the darting, too much ski pressure is the problem. The solution, however, is not as simple as with other (non-XTRA-12) machines. In another thread, I believe you said you weigh 120 lbs. I weigh about 150, so I can relate. First of all, you will likely want the lightest front springs available, which I believe were stock. Set them to the lowest preload by loosening the threaded collar all the way. If it has not been done already, change the stock 200 lb rear track coil spring to the optional 85 lb spring. If you want, you can even remove the spring completely, and run without that spring. (Don't worry, Polaris actually suggests it for light riders.) That way, you can tighten the preload on the front track coil spring to help lessen the ski pressure. If you remove the rear track spring, you may have to play with the torsion springs.

If you have rebuildable shocks, next time they need to be rebuilt, bring them to somebody who knows what they are doing. They can revalve the shocks to suit your weight more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey! Ive got the same darting problem with my Indy sport! I noticed some slop in my skis,like the tie rods have worn some , would this make the darting worse? How much free play should there be ,if any?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts