Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some suggestions on how to make it simple to re install the rear skid.

90 650 Indy.

Tried attaching rear bolts first, however front mounts are wider than the tunnel. One side keeps hitting the heat exchangers. Cant even install the front first. It just came out so it has to go back!

Any tips?

Thanks,

CD

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
put the front in first, then bolt front on, then the back..

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
take a die grinder, or a file, and grind away a channel in that flange from the heat exchangers....I have no clue why Polaris has that there because it makes installing the front a HUGE pain the the butt! Otherwise you have to tilt and twist the whole skid to install it. Always do the front first, and remember to loosen up the track tension adjusters a lot

·
Registered
671 Posts
i just set it close in place, adn drop the sled on it, and she goes right into the tunnel, proly aintthe best, but it works, lol

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Originally posted by Sno-X-treme
[br]take a die grinder, or a file, and grind away a channel in that flange from the heat exchangers....I have no clue why Polaris has that there because it makes installing the front a HUGE pain the the butt! Otherwise you have to tilt and twist the whole skid to install it. Always do the front first, and remember to loosen up the track tension adjusters a lot
Dude, don't tell people to grind away parts.

You don't need to grind heat exchangers. You don't need to loosen track tension either. I have removed and installed Polaris suspensions many times. Lots with my Indy 440 anyway cuz I kept breaking rails. My XCR's weren't bad.

Do like this:

1: put front part of suspension, crooked so that it fits. Then wiggle it around until u can get it back in the track. It takes some work but it's not that big of a deal. Works best if you take off the rear springs and have the rear arm collapsed.

2: use a bar to lift the front of the suspension and move it around to get the bolts in.

3: put springs on the spring things so the suspension is in "up" position

4: lower back end of machine down

5: Struggle some more to get back bolts in. It takes some effort but not too much. If you do it right you shouldn't have to grind away your heat exchangers [V] or loosen off the track tension.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Jeez, worst advice I've ever heard in my life.
[B)][B)][:(]

thanks [}:)]

P-man you've obviously never installed a skid on the older polaris models. For some reason there is a flange of the heat exchanger that sticks into the tunnel about 1/4". If they mounted them that much outward there would be no problem with skid install. All you need is a slot for that front suspension mount to squeeze through. You are not grinding anything away of importance, it's just a stupid little extension of which no coolant passes near...they will not leak or crack or be damaged in any way whatsoever. And it makes skid removal and installation much easier especially if you do it by yourself.

And I loosen the track tension bolts up because I find it easier to get the skid over the track lugs with the skid being that much shorter. I have removed the springs like you but find leaving them installed easier for me. Everyone has "their way" of doing everything

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
I removed what u quoted, I thought it was mean.. Sorry about that..

My 1994 Indy 440 was an older machine and that's the sled that I removed and installed the suspesion in most.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
if it came off w/o grinding...it will go on w/o grinding

·
Registered
34 Posts
try tipping the machine on its side, then put skid in tunnel on a slight angle, and twist it back straight. line up holes install bolts. this is how I do the stubborn ones.Don't know why it works but it does.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've had a similar problem with my skidoos, I used a spreader clamp to spread the tunnel a little bit while installing the skid. Worked like a charm. Perhaps it would work here.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tired of fighting with it. Took the grinder out and made a channel in the fins.

Worked great.

P-Man if the sled wasn't 12 years old I would be leary of griding pieces off as you mentioned

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
dont worry about the grinding its a common thing people do because it does simplify reassembly. I too find it best too loosen off the track tension bolts as far as they go and I collapse the suspension too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts