Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Hope you guys had a great summer! I sure did. I haven't been on here in a while, and am still getting used to this layout!

In preparation for this winter, I'm gonna have to rebuild my shocks. I've never removed the whole skid before and need to know the easiest way to remove the skid from my '03 firecat.

The search function doesn't seem to be working for me but I know there has got to be a pretty well written "How-to" on removing the skid. I swear I've seen it in the past and cant seem to find it.

Anyone know a link or could give a quick wright up?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Easiest way I've found doing it is getting the track off the ground... Either propping the bumper or on a lift. Then disconnecting the torsion springs from the rails to relieve that tension. Then it's a matter of undoing the tunnel mounts. I always start at the back and work my way forward. Once this is done I usually loosen the rear axle to give me some more play room. Then either wiggle it out from there or tip the sled on its side and pull up. This is MUCH easier with two guys than one!!! When putting the skid back in reverse the order for the tunnel bolts. It goes in much easier by mounting the front and working backwards. Again, this is much easier with two guys! And make sure to mark where your track tension was at and adjust accordingly after the skid is back in!

Hope that was helpful... Happy wrenching!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
No problem! I would definitely get an extra set of hands for removal and install. I've done it multiple times by myself and personally it took about twice as long than doing it with another person

1 - 4 of 4 Posts