Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know which other Skidoo engines will fit into this "S" chassis? I have been told that some of the REED Valve engines will not work as they don't have enough room to clear the bulk head? Also, if I wanted to switch from a 670 down to a smaller CC twin how much of the AUX parts are useable? clutches, ignition, Carbs, Air Box etc...

·
Registered
837 Posts
you could put a 583 in there with very little problem, you know if you want to do that i would be willing to trade motors if yours is still good

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am still trying to figure out if it is any good at all. The guy I bought it from tried to limp it home on one cylinder and busted a ring, blew the piston to shreds, stuck some pieces in the intake, stuck the rotary valve, bent the plate. The crank still turns very smoothly and it appears nothing is really damaged there. So I am now just going to Bore the cylinders, new pistons/rings, straiten the rotary valve engough to run, and see where I am. If the case is cracked then I am going to look for an alternative engine and am curious what my options are? If it runs good then I will look for a used head, rotary valve, as they are damaged somewhat.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Well, mattgross is right a rotary/RAVE 583 will work great, as will a rotary/RAVE 617 (if you can find one). I'd stick with those and I'm thinkin' by what you're saying the 670 is trash. DO put new rotary valve and gears on it before you start it otherwise you may be without a housing...they spin VERY fast! 670 parts for the most part will only go on a 670. Clutches OK, if good. Let us know...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll let you all know how it goes, I really have nothing to lose by trying it. If it doesn't go well I might just have a few 670 parts for sale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts