Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first engine I've ripped open. Can anyone tell me what would cause the five bearings on the crank to go? Two of them still have a partial nylon/plastic bearing separator in them and the other three don't have anything but the bearings. Now that I've replaced the bearings I was just trying to figure out why this happened and if it's going to happen again. I just bought this sled for my wife and the previous owners seemed to take good care of it, but when I took it out for it's first ride, obviously, the engine died, which really sucks since the test ride went really well. [EyeBall]

·
Registered
127 Posts
You should check the oil injection system to make sure it is pumping correctly. Also make sure the crank shaft is true and not bent as well as the clutch condition. I've seen bad clutches ruin bearings.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Injection system is working fine and the clutch is also in great shape. As for the shaft, I had the bearings changed by a good sled mechanic, since they are pressed on, and he made sure all was set up right in that area. Put it all back together today and seems good so far. Just got a spark(or lack of ) issue to deal with now. Not sure what's up with that. Might just take it in for a check up and set up and be done with it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Start with the kill switch, ignition switch and tether if it has one then move to wires, cdi and ignition coils. A few years ago I had a 91 Arctic Cat EXT and it would cut out every now and then. I replaced the external coils cdi and ignition switch. Seemed to fix it for awhile but started again shortly after. I decided to bypass the kill switch and tether. I ran perfect for the next two years before I sold it. I wished I started with the easiest first. It would of saved me over $350. Good luck.
John

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup....when it comes down to electrical issues, I don't like it! I hate electrical problems. lol I took it in to a shop out here and he's going to do a complete once over on it. Should be less than $150. (unless it's the cdi box) Guess I'll find out in about a week. [Flame2]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts