Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any information on how this system works. Is a battery required for this system to work? I would like technical info if possible.

·
Registered
837 Posts
i thiink there is some king of spring that winds up as the motor stops and that gets the motor going in reverse, there arn't any spec out on the web yet for the parts that are in volve, but i am guessing you know that the motor runs in reverse

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi CdnTim

I'll try to shed some light on this system.
As I'm sure you know by now, a 2stroke can run backwards. I found this out eons ago when my foot slipped off the clutch for a split second in a Mack truck.
When you hit the reverse button, the motor slows down to almost a complete stop and at an earlier (than normal) precise point on the compression stroke, that cylinder fires and sends the piston back down before reaching top dead centre.
The engine then continues to run backwards untill you hit the button again to go forwards and the whole cycle is repeated.
No, a battery isn't required.
BTW - This system doesn't work on the rotary valve equiped Skidoos.

I hope this didn't add to the confusion.
Jeff

RIDE SAFE - RIDE SOBER
or
DRIVE LIKE LIGHTNING,
CRASH LIKE THUNDER!!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
He's got it right. A 2-stroke is nothing but an air pump with some complicated ignition timing. Timing is the critical element that makes the RER work. Also, the secondary clutch is different. It has a special helix that slopes two directions to allow it to work in reverse.

I laughed so hard the first time i heard a 2002 Ski-doo Legend backup. It goes "beep, beep, beep" as if it was a piece of construction equipment.

·
Registered
777 Posts
another comparison is a harley davidson golf cart,flip the lever, start the engine in one direction for forward,stop the engine flip the lever the other direction and start the engine in opposite direction for reverse.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by MegaMan:
I laughed so hard the first time i heard a 2002 Ski-doo Legend backup. It goes "beep, beep, beep" as if it was a piece of construction equipment.

[/quote]

LOL! My friend has a 2up SD that did the same thing. The first time we heard him backing up I like "What the he!! is that foolishness!?!" Needless to say, I quickly showed him where to unplug the stupid "beeper".

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I beleive all skidoo sleds with reverse have the "beeper". BTW Where the plug for that damn thing?

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's funny, even my dad's Cub Cadet garden tractor that has all kinds of safety devices doesn't have a reverse alarm.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Maybe it's because the company figures it's better to not have an alarm on a lawn mower/tractor because it will be noisy= neighbors would complain, etc. It would be another distraction in cities where you can hear your neighbors doing anything. Newer lawnmowers are getting quieter and adding a beeper will only add noise. I'm just speculating here, so i could be wrong. IMO.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by SledHead:
I beleive all skidoo sleds with reverse have the "beeper". BTW Where the plug for that damn thing?

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]
[/quote]

If I remember correctly, it was some where near the top of the chain case. We just let it idle and put it in rev so we could find where the beeper was located. Then just unplugged the wire (or wires) that went to it. No more stupid beep....beep....beep.....beep. That gets anoying just typing it!

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts