Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to skip my xcr 440 across a lake this summer and i was wondering if anybody knows what i should do to my sled other than the obvious like the seat, gas tank, etc. what about the rear suspension, should i lower it i already lowered it and loosend the limiter strap, will this help? if you know anything that will help my sled skip water please tell me.

·
Registered
699 Posts
get a jet ski lol i crack my self up. make sure that you dont have any engine troubles u dont want it to quit out in the middle of the lake

·
Registered
815 Posts
Make sure your clutch is incased in a box type thing....best mod for the water in my eyes....other than that....put 'er on the handlebars and go boy!....good luck

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
duct tape any area in your belly pan that water could get in. You want NO water on the clutches and intake!!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Drain your chaincase oil and substitue with vegatble oil.. Also add a rope (length dependant on the depth of the water you are riding in) tie one and to the sled and the other end to something boyant.. yah don't wanna lose 'er if she goes down.. and definatly don't forget the camera..

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'd say be confident that you'll make it. if you think your gunna sink it you prolly will

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
why put veggy oil in the chain case???

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
My guess is because it's environmentally friendly and still works for water skipping. Remember, you can get fined for polluting public waterways. Especially dropping vehicles to the bottom.

Also, use a small gas tank, pull the front suspension tight and up higher out of the water, and be sure to remove your seat before hitting the water.

·
Registered
711 Posts
What is with everyone saying you need to enclose your clutches for?, all you need to do is silicone your bellypan and put duct tape over the foot rest, and clutch plug in the belly pan and youll be fine.
Ive never seen anyone with an enclose clutch in my watercross circut or the other circuts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey this is jordan again i have been skipping my xcr 440 this summer alot and have it about as light as it can get and i have been skipping about 100 yrds with is across a pond pretty good i tried it on a lake and got about 100ft when i went around a point and there were whitecaps waiting for me so my belt got wet and i sank so i am thinking of enclosing my clutches and belt in a thin aluminum cage or something like that reply with any suggestions

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Sounds cool, have any pics?? Was the water deep were you sank?? You should be able to bend some aluminum and make it fit around the clutches some how..are you running a hood? If so block off all the holes "vents,etc" then It should be fairly waterproof.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it was about 5 feet deep and i have probly sunk it 5 or 6 times but i am supprized how far i have made it and i am riding with no hood but the water is coming from undernieth somewhere and i have tried to ducttape it and culk it but it still gets wet so im am gonna make a metal case around it next

·
Registered
7 Posts
You need to go through your bellypan and make sure all holes are sealed, (dont use duct tape) i've found that the Red RTV Permatex silicone(high temp) stuff really does the trick, its very resistant to water and holds up well. You can buy the stuff at a local AutoZone in Big Dispensing Tubes. Also, you need to make sure that the footrests(where there are vents to the engine compartment, is blocked off somehow. (i used thin aluminum flaring and red rtv silicone) You can put some small absorbant foam underneith of the clutch (make sure you glue it well) to take some of the water that gets in from the sides.

On top of this, you can go to your local hardware store and get some thin aluminum flaring and using a bender and some rivets can easily make a clutch cover. or just rivet onto the existing clutchcover and silicone it up baby! MAKE SURE YOU FOLD ALL EDGES OF THE ALUMINUM FLARING!! so they will not cut you if you crash or sink, the last and best thing you can do to make it long distances is to go to a Marine dealership(someone that sells big boats) and get a small bilge pump from them, all you have to do is wire it to a small lawn mower battery and to a relay switch, so you can control the pump on/off.

I've almost completed my sled in this fashion, I will post some pictures in detail when I have my sled done. along with some in action photos..

any questions.?

·
Registered
2 Posts
so want to waterskip you sled on a lake ok first of all i wouldnt lossen your limiting strap all tha way off b/c you wont be able to control it. a sled hooks up a hundred times better on water than you could ever hope for on snow so make sure to keep that in mind and im not sure your logic behind lowering your sled b/c that will only put you at a disadvantage b/c the closer to the water you are to start with the less play u have to let off. a sled will come up out of the water faster than a seadoo as long as you dont get any pertanant parts wet such as the belt and intake. be sure to have a fresh belt and if it gets even the slightest bit wet thats the end of it so have fun and dont make the biggest mistake people waterskipping make and ensure you have enough fuel to make the whole run oh ya and waves suck!!!!!!!!(i know from experience)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
good post to start off with LOL!

welcome to the forum

1 - 18 of 18 Posts