Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm brand new to this forum. I just bought my first snowmobile. Its a 1974 440 Lazer Skiroule. It runs and drives but does not idle as nice as I would like it to. It will idle for 5-10 minutes and then die. I'm assuming of have some carb problems but have no idea how to tune these carbs. Does anyone have any information about Skiroules in General.

Possibly a parts sourse or manuals? Anyone else have a skiroule? If someone could tell me how to post pictures I would love to show you it.

Thanks for any help!

Lance

·
Registered
765 Posts
a lot of sleds will die after idling for 10 minutes, the plugs get fouled. just the nature of the beast

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, Thanks, thats good to know.

Now does anyone know about the carb on this thing. There are 3 ajustments. One I know is for the idle. The other two I'm not sure what to do with. They are on opposite sides. One is slightly bigger then the other. The bigger one is on the fuel return side I believe. Any idea's?

·
Registered
228 Posts
probably the air fuel mix screw. It will act just like a idle screw until u lean it out way to much and burn down a piston or fowl a plug. My dad used to have a neighbor when he was a kid who had one. He said it was awsome. I have a 440 fan cooled ski roule motor in the garage and spedo that where hanging onto . U dont see alot of them around. Its awsome u have one. Try some fresh fuel that might help and some carb and choke cleaner. Chances are its not spark but if it is it probably needs a new coil or stator. Will it start after it dosen't idle. Can u rev it up but won't come back down to idle maybe a stuck choke cable or lever. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Book makes it a '76 (first year of the laser)or '77. Is it the standard Laser or the Laser Plus?
Kohler K440-2AS w/walbro WF carb. Mix @40:1 using regular gas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There was a 1974 Laser 440. It was the first year they were offered. The engine was the same as the 1976, a Kohler K440-2 AS. The carburator was a Walbro WF-3 on a '74, and a WF16 on a '76, but they are esentially the same.

A 2-cycle engine is not designed to idle for more then a couple of minutes at a time. If it will do that, there is no problem.

Here is the adjustment procedures, from the Skiroule Laser service bullitin, Nov 20, 1973.

Peform only when the engine is warm only, 325 to 350 degrees)

Idle speed adjustment- 1 3/16 open from seat (large screw on top of carb)

Idle mixture adjustment 11/16 turn open (small screw on top)

High speed mixture adjustment 1 1/2 turns open (wheel valve on the bottom of float bowl.

Fuel enrichment (choke) must be used to start cold engine, and run with it on until the engine begins to warm. The throttle lever must not be touched when pulling the rope to start the engine.

The carb kits, and many other parts for this sled, are still avail. through G.P.I. in Crystal, MI. www.growthprod.com

The major difference between the '74, and '76 was the headlight location and ski stance. The 1974 had a grey hood, with the low headlight btween the air louvers, three on each side. The '76 came with a silver hood, with the headlight up by the windsheild, and the old. low location was filled with a colr-matched filler that snapped in to the hood. There were fiberglass covers over the frame extentions on the '76, as they had widened them almost 4 inches. There were very, very few 1975s built, as the company went out of production early on that year, and a New England investor bought the company from Coleman, and resumed production one more year. All 1974s are 15" wide track. The '76 was available with 15" or 17" wide tracks, the latter being the "Plus" model. Any Skiroule Laser is rare. If the hood is good, be careful with it. These are no longer available. A complete Laser, original, and in running condition, is highly collectable. Please treat it as such.

I have 6 complete Skiroules, built from 1968, a S-370, to a '76 model Ultra 447, and 2 extra parts machines. I also have a 1979 "Crystal-built" aluminum Skiroule liquid. There are engines and parts on various shelves.

-Les in MI.

·
Registered
25 Posts
note:Growth Products in Crystal,MI is a great place to get replacement parts for all kinds of snowmobiles. Skiroule old-stock inventory is still pretty complete after all of these years. Call for parts or info. They don't reply to e-mails at G.P.I.
Phone: 989-235-4294
Fax: 989-235-4990

Elenor84, you can set up an on-line picture account and then insert the pictures using the post image tool above this message field. If you would rather not mess with setting up an on-line account to place your photos. I will post them for you if you e-mail them to me. [email protected] I use photobucket, myself. I am no professional on a computer. I barely get by, and even I can manage to post through them. Either way, I would really like to see your sled.

Happy trails!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts