Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well when i first bought my sled it had plastic skies on it....and some one loosend my nuts and took my cotter pins out and they came off on me one day scared the daylights out of me! wont ever leave it out side again over night! any ways the spacers and parts taht made the skies fit my sled came off going 40mph and scadderd all over a lake and now are on the bottem of it lol...the skis were to small in the first place and i am not looking for some plastic skies that are of the right size but im not sure what componys i should look at...i am still new to this and i dont know of many after market componys for yamaha sleds or sleds period...any help would be appreciated...thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i want something wide enuph to take in powder but i do alot of trail riding so i want something that will be smoothe and turn well...

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I would suggest the Simmons Flexi-Ski. It is the design that was "borrowed" by Ski-Doo for their Precision skis. It is apparently a good all around ski...

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Simmons are great skis. If you trail/ditch ride more than powder ride i would look at the SLP SLT ski. I have the Simmons on my old 500 and the SLT's on my XLT. The simmons have great floatation but lack a little in cutting a hard packed trail. You really cant go wrong either way but i would base my decision on where you ride most.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok cool i like the flexi-skis now are those the simmens? and if they are do you know the page for the others?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also what all would it take to make it fit on my sled...it looks like they might just fit right on...or am i going to have to fab something to make them fit?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Yep Simmons makes the Flexi Ski. http://www.flexi-ski.com/
Here is the link to SLP. http://www.startinglineproducts.com/

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well on the SLP site i cant find any mounts for my sled...they are all for 97 and up....

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i was looking for the ski all together....for the slp's it looks like you have to buy the loops and ski bottems and stuff better.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Yep with the SLP's you buy the individual pieces but the price is equal or less than the Simmons.

Just a thought have the saddle's on yamaha's changed between 93 and 97. It is very possible that a 97 saddle will work.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i dont know?!?! they might be the same...i havnt really ever looked. i might call one of the local Yamaha dealers and ask them. now tell me, are the SLPS powder skies better all around ski then the Flexi-ski? also the flexi-ski looks like it might ba a little harder to turn than a normal ski because of the duel carbides and stuff.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i just called the local Yamaha dealer and he told me that he was pretty sure that they infact did you the same ski saddle! so im happy! lol he told me they will be getting there snowmachine accesaries in around September wich will be around the time i will be able to buy some skies...so if he doesnt have what i want i will get them off the net...or heck i bet he could even order them for me...i just wander if it will be cheeper to get them off the net.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Do you ride powder or trails? The Simmons advantage is that the ski bottom is concave in design which helps keep the powder packed under the ski instead of the ski cutting through the snow. I have not used the SLP powder ski, but it is similar in design to the SLT ski. If you ride trails most of the time i would go with the SLP (either the SLT or the powder ski) and if you ride powder i would go with the simmons. The simmons are not harder to turn, but if you run them on trails you will want to get cutting carbides for both the inside and the outside of the ski. They recommend one cutter and one flat carbide per ski. Because the simmons dont have a center keel i found that i needed more grab on the trail after trying their recommendation. You cant go wrong with either ski IMO. It just boils down to where you ride most of the time.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
The net is generally cheaper. But you gotta watch shipping costs.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how well do the SLTs handle in powder...because i do alot of powder..i run on trails around my house but im run powder alot.do they floot decently? i do mostly ride trails though. it will cost 397.41 for the slts ...thats not shipping cost.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Unfortunately Minnesota didnt have a great winter last year so the SLT's didnt get to see much in the way of deep powder so i dont have a comparison on floatation. If you are considering the SLP skis i would go with the powder ski since it sounds like you do a fair amount of powder riding and the powder ski is based off the SLT design i think you will get the best all around ski. People in my riding group have been running different variations of SLP skis for the last 3-4 years and we have had no problems with them. As i said you really wont go wrong either way but the Simmons is definetly geared more towards powder than trail. You will pay about 400 for either brand.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what about that Tri-keelII ski? do you know any thing about that one? but then again the powder skis are cheeper...i will problubly stick with those.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Sorry no first hand experience with the Tri Keel... The SLT's were highly recommended to me by a guy online who puts 10,000 miles a year on his sled.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts