Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

There's been losts of ski topics over the years and I am looking for opinions for my new sled: the EXT Mountain Cat.

Right now it has a pair of Yamaha plastic skis for a Phazer (and Nytro and Apex)and I haven't heard too many good things about this ski so I plan to put them up for sale and hope to get something a little better.

So, what do you reccommend for skis? Or what is a good value? I looked at a pair of SlyDog Race skis on eBay and some C&A Pro (razors?) as well.

I mostly ditch bang so the ditches have a very wide range of conditions so I need a ski that will be good in pow and hardpacked snow.

The sled itself now has a 136 inch track with I think an inch and a half paddle? I'll measure it. I mentioned the track because I would like opinions on carbide length and type as well.

Sorry for the long post, but these skis need to work well and I don't know much about skis.

Thanks guys! Think snow!!!!![thumb]

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
You will get a lot of biased answers here, but i had a pair of slydog trailhounds on my old 97 Powder Extreme that had the ZRT chassis. I ditch banged and road off trail with it in the Black Hills and i loved them. I currently run them on my RMK and love them just as much for trails/ditchbanging. The only regret i have is i wish i would have gotten the powderhounds(same ski just wider). So in the end, im giving a biased answer as well.[:0]

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I have the arctic cat stockers on my sled, and i have no complaints. Which is surprising, because usually people like aftermarket better. They give me pretty good steering in powder, and are a nice trail ski. Probably gonna be all personal preference.

·
Registered
242 Posts
i got slydogs(trail) on my sled, and they float really well in powerder. But what size carbide do you have now?.....Th only reason you would need to get bigger carbides is if you add studs.. the more studes you have over than the norm the bidder the carbide will need.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I've had C&A razors on my current sled, and past 2.. They bite HARD in some conditions which can be bad.. and also have hard turning effort sometimes.. but overall are very good, aggressive skis. i have heard nothing but good about SLP and slydogs also.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Dragonryder said:
i got slydogs(trail) on my sled, and they float really well in powerder. But what size carbide do you have now?.....Th only reason you would need to get bigger carbides is if you add studs.. the more studes you have over than the norm the bidder the carbide will need.
I've got the trail version of the SlyDog's as well and really like them. I'm running 6" Shaper Bars for carbides, an that's with a 2" paddle track. Combo works great in all the conditions I hit this past year.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Find a used pair of polaris grippers. You can pick them up used for around $200 complete. Best ski you will find for the money.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I like c&a Razors, they bite hard, and turn long tracks well, they have increased turning effort over stock skis, but dont push in corners, and are predictable. best looking skis on the market IMO as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i go with jesse500 i like the c&a pro Razor and The Razors measure 6" wide by 43" long. These skis are great on the trails, hardpack, powder or race track i have them and i love them all i run is c&a pro skis the c&a pro txt ski is 1 1/2" center drop keel 7-1/4" wide profile Total ski weight is 6.9 lbs and The XT is the most aggressive ski in the C&A PRO lineup

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I dont have any real world answers about the Slydogs, but I've heard nothing but good about them. The one thing I can say that I hate about mine is, the ski loops flex to much and are always sideways. I bend them back, and the slightest bump puts them sideways. The ski flex is also good though. They can be bent backwards without breaking. So, if you like to tree ride, or if you might catch something with your ski, the ski should survive.

Best ski I've used on snow to date. C&A ADX. 7" wide so decent ( not amazing ) flotation. Effort for carving was minimal. Handling on trails with only a 4.5" carbide was incredible. Super rugged ski as well if I must say.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Just try the skis that are on it. After reading your post, It doesn't appear that you've given them a chance yet.

Reading about how bad they are on the internet is not the same as going out in the real world and trying them out. Maybe they will work well for you and you'll save $400 on skis and then use that money to mod your sled a little. Personally, I would not be putting on any of those skis as they will be the most expensive thing on your sled. Are you going to notice the difference in ride or just your wallet?

Give yours a try, then find a nice used pair of whatever if the current ones are not good enough. Heck I like the Stocker Polaris skis over the SLP SLT's I have.

D

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's probably what I'll end up doing for now

·
Registered
863 Posts
i just bought some C&A XT's this summer. cant wait to test them out, but they look dope IMO

·
Registered
863 Posts
srx_600 said:
Yo dawg, how dope? I bet its pretty dope yo.(sarcasm intended)
i say one word some older person apparently doesnt like, and i get made fun of for it, thats why i dont like this site. most people are just here to bug or make fun off.
not saying i dont bug sledcrusher, but i say one word.. grow up and move on.
not much of a difference between me saying "dope" or "sweet"

jesse500 said:
them wanksters.....
i can gaurantee you in not a "wankster"

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
mxz440kid said:
srx_600 said:
i say one word some older person apparently doesnt like, and i get made fun of for it, thats why i dont like this site. most people are just here to bug or make fun off.

jesse500 said:
them wanksters.....
if you say Dope, and wear a flat billed hat, i think you a wankster. and im your age. no young/old bias opinion.....

·
Registered
863 Posts
jesse500 said:
mxz440kid said:
srx_600 said:

jesse500 said:
them wanksters.....
if you say Dope, and wear a flat billed hat, i think you a wankster. and im your age. no young/old bias opinion.....
for one, i may say "dope" but i dont wear a flat billed hat thats for sure.
sorry you didn't like my choice of words you "*******"

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Let's stick to skis shall we??

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
mxz440kid said:
srx_600 said:

jesse500 said:
them wanksters.....
Relax, i was just bustin your balls no need to get your panties in a bunch. If you still feel the same way all i can say is dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out if this site is that bad for you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts