Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this winter my 500 will be the "weak" sled in our group. Generally when we ride its my brother, our buddy, and myself. Our buddy bought a 99 or 2000 Mountain Cat 800 last year extended to either 154" or 159" with a 2" paddle track. My brother is getting ready to buy a 04 Switchback 600 144" with a 1.5" track, 6900 miles, and original hyfax! And our buddy bought a set of SLP twin pipes for his M-cat, which he might go back to the stock single if he can't get it running right. That means i am out powered, way out-tracked, and probably have the worst suspension out of the 3.

My goal is to build a strong and reliable sled that will run with the 800 M-cat and hopefully kill my brothers soon-to-be Switchback. Basically a good cross-over sled since it will get abused in ditches down here in low snow, and then go up and play in deep powder in the U.P.

I'm thinking about using my 500 chassis and dropping in a XCR 800/triple pipes/maybe mild porting. Then throw in a Switchback or RMK 144" skid with a 1.5" track, Tracks USA tunnel extension, and maybe 96 studs. I'd like to get a IQ RMK seat and tank(like MuscleD's), and of course new handlebars that will work well with the seat. I also want to get wider and longer running boards, but not to sure what i'd do there.

I'd say my budget will be $2000-2500, and of course i'll be selling all the old parts off my 500 which are in good-excellent shape and that money will be put back into the sled.

So does anybody have some advice for me? Right now i'm just kinda thinking about it and trying to get an idea of what i want so i can start making a plan. Is it even possible to build a sled like i'm thinking about with my budget? I want to keep this a simple and easy build, but i can do a little fabricating and have some friends that can help fabricate parts if i need to. But i'd prefer to build it with parts i can get at a dealer in case there are any problems.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'd say instead of using the xcr 800 drop a 600 VES in it. You will save HOURS, and HOURS of time because they are both small block engines(500 to 600). Good Idea using the switchback skid although I don't know how easy that will be. If you pipe, gear, clutch, bore it, maybe even shave the heads on the 600. Do other mods to it I'm sure you be able to keep it under 2,500. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hmmm well i am not an expert on the engine but it can work if done correctly I believe. The Tunnel extension from Tracks USA is easy to put on and for the wider running boards you can get some Van amburg wider running boards but I don't know for sure if they make them for the older sleds but you can check. TO have them make you some custom ones is going to be expensive and so will that shorty seat, about $300. I looked to put one on my 1998 XC but that was not worth the money for me. A handle bar riser wont be too expensive seeing as they are pretty easy to build and you can get the throttle cable and brake line extensions for pretty cheap.

I'm no expert at all on the engine swap but I know a lot of guys on here know what they're doing in that area and can help you with clutching and gearing once you get that in. I would say you can do this swap and make your sled better but start looking for parts here and there now on sale so you don't spend a boat load. One more thing to think about is selling your sled and taking that extra $2,000-$2,500 and upgrading to something with a lot more power. just my .02....good luck!

OH and btw...you dont have to have the biggest sled to be the best rider. I rode a 1995 indy in my group for a long while and I could outride all my friends on the trails and ditches just because i knew my sled so well and could throw it around better than they could. I couldnt climb straight up a hill but on trails they ate my roost.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I'm sorry if I'm out line here with this, but, sell your sled, and use the cash on top and just buy a new sled. I'm sure you could build a sick sled, but at the same time, you're going to spend more money than you could imagine once you start.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
sledcrusher said:
I'm sorry if I'm out line here with this, but, sell your sled, and use the cash on top and just buy a new sled. I'm sure you could build a sick sled, but at the same time, you're going to spend more money than you could imagine once you start.
Was what I was going to say. Even with just the 2000-2500 dollar budget you could get something better then the mountain cat.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've thought about just swapping in a 600 VES or even a 7/800 but i'm not sure if i'll be happy with that. I love the sound and power of a triple. I also want good power out of a still close-to-stock motor so i don't run into any headaches or reliability issues on the trail. I've also been thinking about just running a stock 680 motor with triple pipes, and if thats not enough upgrade to the 800 XCR top end later on. That way i can get a feel for the sled.

I've thought about selling my sled and buying something else, but if i do this i'll know the sled inside and out and it'll be set-up the way i want it. Plus it'd be nice to have a unique sled that i can say i built. [;)] But this is just an idea right now, so i might just change my mind and buy a Switchback.

·
Registered
222 Posts
sledcrusher said:
Wow. this is surprising^^^. Aren't you infamous for buying and building sleds???

OhioPolarisKid said:
I've thought about just swapping in a 600 VES or even a 7/800 but i'm not sure if i'll be happy with that. I love the sound and power of a triple. I also want good power out of a still close-to-stock motor so i don't run into any headaches or reliability issues on the trail. I've also been thinking about just running a stock 680 motor with triple pipes, and if thats not enough upgrade to the 800 XCR top end later on. That way i can get a feel for the sled.

I've thought about selling my sled and buying something else, but if i do this i'll know the sled inside and out and it'll be set-up the way i want it. Plus it'd be nice to have a unique sled that i can say i built. [;)] But this is just an idea right now, [highlight=red]so i might just change my mind and buy a Switchback.
[/highlight=red]
Well I don't know what year you are looking at but my dad bought a 2007 Switchback 600 for my "mom"(just an excuse to get a sled for powder) and its an awesome sled. I love it in the deep stuff, i can throw it around pretty easily and I actually don't mind the longer track on the trails.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I don't know what year you are looking at but my dad bought a 2007 Switchback 600 for my "mom"(just an excuse to get a sled for powder) and its an awesome sled. I love it in the deep stuff, i can throw it around pretty easily and I actually don't mind the longer track on the trails.
Yeah, i'd like an IQ but with the budget i'm on the best thing i could afford without getting a beater is a Edge Switchback or RMK. Which i might fall in love with it once i ride my brothers this winter, but time will tell.

·
Registered
222 Posts
ya i wish i could upgrade too to an IQ but that will come when i graduate. Anything with an edge suspension is an upgrade over the xtra10 but who knows. why not wait one more year, save more and then there will be some affordable IQ's out there.

1,792 Posts
I'm with most of the above : sell your sled, and buy a newer sled in the $3-3.5k price range. It's a lot easier and you'll be on the trails sooner.
Yes, I know it's over budget slightly, but who here hasn't spent more on something than you anticipated?
We all have. [:)]

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
an edge body and newer rmk bodys with the same engine will be night and day different then your gen2, the gen 2 is a belly dragger and wants to stay flat, the newer bodys get the skis down into the snow and are easy to manuver. they also get lighter as you get newer to some extent.

after building gen2 mod sleds, at this point i would look for an iqr roller to put the xcr 800 mill into. one guy was telling us how he did that, he had friends with stock 800 new mountain machines that on paper were close in hp. out in the snow they werent even in the same zip code. he could out boondock them, high mark them like nothing. the xcr 800 mill has soooooo much more bottom end power then the new twins that he could come to a stop almost then roll on the throttle and be moving again. didnt need to keep rpms up like the big twins or an ultra engine.

to put an xcr mill in your sled the all you really need to do is get a 1/2" thick plate of aluminum about 7"-8" long, and start out at 19" wide, then you simply cut out the back side for the steering post, and maybe a small spot on the front for steering, then shorten it to the length you need. the left motor strap will be in the right spot, the hole spacings might be a tiny bit off, cant remember but its dang close, figure out center to center distance and mark the motor strap and plate for where the engine needs to be.

to make the swap easier would be to switch to premix. that clears up a bunch of room to run the air box. get rid of the stock oil jug and water resivois and use an edge water bottle. then the stock xcr air box will almost drop right in there.

stock pipes or dyno port pipes with stock can or aftermarket can should drop right in.

its actually a very easy swap.

now, if you look around you probably could find an 2000 xcr sled for about the same price as an engine by the time you get ignition, carbs,pipes and what not. so what i am saying is that you would be better off to get a complete sled and toss the light weight parts and big track at that.

then in a couple years you get an iqr chassis, brads plate and crankshop or jaws pipes bolt right in.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advice Madcow. [thumb]

I've thought about selling my sled and buying either a XCR or just a Edge roller to start with, but i know that my sled is structurally and cosmetically in excellent condition. I'm worried that if i buy a cheap sled to start with it will have a crack or something that i won't notice until i start tearing into it. I just like the idea of using my sled as a base since i know what i'm working with.

I figued that the XCR/ultra motor should be a really easy swap. There is a sled salvage yard up north that i'm going to contact if i decide to start my build to see if i can get a wrecked XCR to pull the motor out of.

And is it possible to put PERC on a XCR motor? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but i'm just curious if its ever been done.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Just going to let you know once you start building sleds, your gonna run into far more problems that just cracks in the frame or needing new plastics. I personally would go with an edge chassis sled. or see if you can find a prox 700 or so once you sell your sled and extend the rails to 144 with a 1.5 inch track. Much easier to find a good sled to start with and just add rail extensions and a new track.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know i'll have more things to worry about than problems with the chassis and what-not, but i'd rather not have to mess with trying to repair anything. Plus i already have a sled that i like a lot and is extremely clean to work with, so why get something else?

But i might start this "build" this winter. My brother bought his Switchback over the weekend and we rode around in the field some. My sled runs great, and hangs with the new 600 pretty good, but i think my suspension is about gone. The rear end sags a lot, and i noticed a couple idlers don't roll as freely as they should. And the track is definitely showing some wear. So instead of dumping money into my Xtra-10 i'm gonna upgrade soon. So i want some advice on what i should upgrade my rear suspension/track to. I don't want people saying to just buy something, because i don't really have the time/money to try to sell my sled and buy something else. Especially since my sled is very clean and runs great still, i just want to upgrade it.

Should i run a 144 Switchback or 144 RMK skid, or should i just get a 121 Edge skid and extend it? Would a IQ skid work or be any better? Would i need drop brackets since i'm going to longtrack, or would they help any? Again i'm looking to build a good/strong cross-over sled on a somewhat tight budget. I'll be going from riding low snow around here, to pounding ditches and jumping, to zipping around on trails, running power lines, and then riding deep UP powder.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
You could also look at trying to trade your sled and some cash for a better sled. You would love an edge. I spent an entire day last year on a edge x 700 and at first it seemed like it would be tippy or something. Once I got used to it and trusted it I loved it. It wasn't long before I started jumping the field approaches. I could jump the thing sideways and it would flaten out in the air. I think you should get a newer sled.

As far as the iq seat and tank on your sled It cost me about 180 for everything. Tank, seat, light, bolts and brackets. You could do the exact set up on an edge.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would love to sell/trade my sled and get an Edge chassis, but unless i can find a really good deal thats not going to happen. We don't have the time/money right now to try to sell my sled and then hunt down a new one. If i can find a good deal on one i'll buy it and sell my sled, if not i don't want to keep riding my sled the way it is hoping i can find something.

But tonight i sat down and looked around at some prices to come up with an idea of what i'd be spending.

Tunnel Extension-$100
144" Edge/IQ skid-$300
144x15x1.5" track-$3-500 used or new
Sell Xtra-10 and track- get $300
Total:$4-600

Or

Tracks USA 121-144 extension kit using my skid-$800
New springs/shocks rebuilt-$200+
Sell old track- get $100
Total:$900

Or sell my sled for $1500 and add on $1500, so $3000 for a new sled to cover purchase price/tax/registration/etc..

I think i could find a long-track Edge i like for under $3000. Or i could spend $1k in ergo/clutching/ski's/front-end upgrades on my sled, still have some cash left over, and hopefully be extremely happy with what i have. Plus i'd know the history of my sled, whats been done, and who did all the work.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
keep an eye out for 99 xcr's they usually go pretty cheap. then you get the carbs, ignition,pipes, air box, coolant tank, spare suspension parts, and some parts to scrap out.

the only reason i say to watch for cheap 2000's is that sometimes you can get a 2000 cheaper than a used engine. around here a used xcr engine is 1100 firm with nothing on it. carbs are 150-250 and then a 200 to fix them up with black slides.
stock pipes are kind of hard to find but there out there.

if you take your time, start looking now it might take 6 months or longer to find a good deal on an engine or complete sled but there out there.

even if you paid 2grand for a decent used xcr 800 sled. i wouldnt worry about the bulk head cracked. never heard of it on them yet. you have your nice body work to put on it if its ugly, at 2g's for a sled you are still money ahead vs spending 1100 for just a motor. you have extra parts for yourself or to resell. not hard to make a fast 500 dollars on parting out a gen 2 body, that gets you down to 1500 for a gen 2 xcr powered sled that you didnt have to swap anything other than a rear skid.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts