Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1996 Polaris RXL 650 a few months ago. I've finally had the chance to take her out a couple days ago and she ran great. Now today she ran great, but sometimes when you hit the gas it would bog down. I could rev it up a little and it would be fine. I went for a ride tonight and I rode a few miles just fine, but once when I hit the gas it bogged down and died. I tried to fire it back up, but it wouldn't go. The weird thing is when I pull it over the light doesn't turn on or anything. This sled does have EFI and I know the battery is not dead because when you turn the key I can hear the EFI kicking in. I used the test light and went around and checked the wires. It is not the ignition either. I'm not sure what it is, I put it on the charger for a little while just to see what happens. Does anyone know what might be going on? Has this ever happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
my guess would be a weak battery. how old is the battery? ive heard of efi's having that problem with a weak battery not enough juice to keep up with the efi. might want to try a new battery and see what happens

bobby

·
Registered
64 Posts
mine has been doing the same thing lately...i tried a new battery and it didnt cure the problem..if u find out what it is let me know..might be same prob as mine

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm not sure if this applies as my sled is carbed.. But it's a '92 RXL motor.. I had a very similar problem at the begining of the season.. Took it out of storage, it ran perfect! Tore up the lawn a bit, parked in the garage.. That was it never ran again.. No light, no spark, no nothing.. I tried everything, new kill switch, changed the CDI, etc.. anyways long story short it ended up being the stator..

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have had an extensive amount of experiancewith both the EFI's and the 650's but never together in one sled. I have an 94 EFI 500 and a 91 Indy 650. The problem with the 650 bogging could be clutch failure or carb problems (I have had to fix both on several occasions). Since you don't have carbs, you may want a dealer to check your EFI. The 96 RXL had some computer problems (as reported to me by my dealer). If that is not it, I have never had a problem with the 650 motor (5,000 + miles and going strong). The EFI on my 500 has been good so far but has caused problems for my friend who has a 92 RXL. He had to replace a small part ($150+) but I cannot remember the name of the component (dealer performed service). Bottom line.... a dealer is best equiped to handle the EFI and the 650 engine itself should be sound, a new battery and a checkup at the dealer doctor is my reccomendation. One other thought... connections on and EFI are everything, go through the sled with a magnifing glass and check all connections, wires, components, and plugs. I hope this helps! [:)]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Figured it out!! I took it to the dealer I got it from and they looked through the sled for 4 hours and couldn't find anything wrong. They ended up calling Polaris and tried working it through with them. It turned out to be that the hose in the gas tank that sucks out the gas, and has the filter on it, fell off. So it wasn't getting gas. That's all it was! Best of all, I didn't have to do the work and the dealer didn't charge me for the 4 hours of labor.[:D]

·
Registered
416 Posts
Sounds Nice!

I wish my dealer would do work for me and not charge me for it!

Ride on and avoid the trees![:)]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The hose and the filter both came off. I still got fuel until the level of gas in the tank got low and went below the pickup. Here's the best drawing I can do.

> pickup the hose goes on
------------ low level of gas

~~~~~## hose and filter
------------ Bottom of gas tank

·
Registered
64 Posts
glad to see u got it fixed...mine sometimes bogs but doesnt stall....if i let mine sit there for a few seconds the power comes back.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
IROC sounds to me like you have clutch problems or a belt that is too loose. My guess is too loose of belt. Like taking off in second gear. Riley

·
Registered
64 Posts
its not a clutch prob cause my clutch engages at 4200 with track off ground....the bog is when the rpm is at around 1000 to 2000 rpms if u can get the rpms to go up anywhere near 4000 it will go fine...the bog is like fouled plugs even when there not fouled...it doesnt always bog either just every now and then.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
If this is an EFI sled, go and check all your wiring connections. What sensors does an RXL have?.......maybe an intake air temperature sensor, a crank angle sensor, and a throttle position sensor...? I've never worked on one, just thinking of possibilities.

Mabye even check your fuel system. Chech the fuel filter, fuel pump, and pressure regulator for proper operation. Maybe even your fuel injectors themselves are faulty or dirty. In cars, if your fuel pump is weak, it will bog or hesitate sometimes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
yea i will look at it when i get another chance...getting a little bit a snow right now so i will try it out in the am and see what happens...might be a fuel prob or a sensor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts