Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can anyone give me advice on what to purchase for a lady. I am looking at several options. Here are my top choices.
Polaris Indy 340 edge
Skidoo Mxz 380
Artic cat 440 esr
What would be the best buy for price, quality, performance. How fast will they go? Will she be able to keep up?
Any help would be appreciated. First time buyer.
Thanks[8D]

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
id go with the skidoo mxz. The mxz is an awesome sled, i have a 98 mxzx 440lc,which i would not recomend becasue it is a race sled. Anyways the ski-doo is ur best bet beacuse it has a nice ride,power and style. I dont know if it will be able to keep up with 800s and stuff,but it will keep up with 440s and possible 600s.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I think you may want to look more at 440's or even 500's in the polaris and skidoo class. You don't want her to feel underpowered.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Also depends on what you ride a little too.
If you are on a 440 fan..then a 340 would be fine.
If you blast away on an 800 XCR...then she might want to get home before you finish with the supper dishes.

Average top speeds(mph):
340 - 60 - 70 (guessing...haven't been one one in years)
440 fan - 80 - 90
500 liquid - 90 - 100

I usually ride a '99 500XC, but when the wife and kids come, I have an AC 440 fan to take along, but we don't usually go over 40 mph then. BTW, my wife rides the 500 when she goes, and on the trails she finds it handles nicely for her, and she's only 115 lbs. (geese too bad she doesn't come to TUSF, wasted browny points there...lol).

I have always felt that an Indy Trail (488 fan) would be a great womens sled, very reliable, and she can stay with alomost anything (when she has the EXPERIENCE to handle it), but put on electric start if she doesn't want you coming over to start her sled for her every time.

Hope this helps, sledding is a great couples and family sport..get out there and doo it, or yamit, or polit, or catit, or bladeit, redlineit or whatever you get.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My wife had a ski-doo formula deluxe 500. She loved the elec start and reverse. This is a big feature if you don't want to get off your sled to turn hers around. Anyway she kept right up with us. She wanted a red sled and at the time Ski-doo was the only one making them in that size etc. That's some way to pick a sled huh.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Slider; welcome to the forum.

Personally I am brand biased, and like the Skidoos. Having said that, all 4 brands make good sleds.

I would look for something that is similar in size to what you ride because as she gains confidence she isn't going to want to be left behind in the dust.

Women (at least this one[:D]) like a nice comfortable ride with some comforts of home; 10 inch suspension, electric start, and if possible reverse. That'll save your back from lifting and turning both sleds! Find something reliable so she doesn't have to worry about being broken down at the side of the trails.

As far as size, I ride a 583 lc with electric start and reverse, and I love it. My daughter rides a 380 fan with electric start and is just as happy on it; she doesn't have the excelleration of the 583, but she can keep up no problem on the trails. It's not very often that you're riding WOT, we don't often run over 50 or 60mph unless we're screaming across a lake.

·
Registered
133 Posts
This depends so much on you and your wife. Your wife does not want to be the slowest sled in the pack. I don't care what she says. I personally think that a less accomplished rider will have more fun riding a faster sled than the more accomplished riders they may be with. I enjoy riding an Indy Trail while my wife rides a 600 EdgeX. When I go with the hard riding guys without wife I take the edge. She doesn't have to ride as hard on a faster sled to keep up. That said if I really apply myself I can keep up with almost anyone on the Indy Trail. I just may work up quite a sweat.
Most people regret not going big in the first place. I wish my Trail was a 500 Indy Classic. Then I would get more time on the Edge.

·
Registered
133 Posts
For the money you would spend to buy one of the sleds on your list new, you could get a SWEET used Indy Classic with electric start and reverse.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Also something I find... My 91' skidoo 377 goes through more gas then my dads 99' skidoo 500. I don't know if it is because mine is older, but I think that its is because we ride lakes an awful lot, and while his is half or 3/4 open, I'm WOT. Just a thought. I usually use a little over a quarter tank then he does. And with gas hits 80 CENTS/ltr here today. I would try to get the best millage I could.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i would say the 440 esr she would like the electic start and the reverse if she is a beginner, or go with the MXZ but MXZ's dont handle that well but i rode an edge 440 i think it was and it wasnt that good and polaris's (no offense to anybody) kinda have a tendency to break down... so over all go with the 440 esr

·
Registered
65 Posts
Might I suggest a Polaris 550 fan Trail RMK?. My wife purchased hers new in 2001. They are light, responsive, and have a top speed of about 65 or 70 mph. They also get great fuel milelage. She tried several liquid cooled sleds before deciding on the polaris fan, but they were just too heavy for her to handle. By the end of the day, she would be totally spent! If you do any mountain riding and want to have a light, dependable ride for your wife, it would be hard to beat this set-up! I know my wife loves hers!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would suggest the Ski-Doo legend with the 380. Real ladies machine and comes with electric, RER, mirrors at a very affordable price.

·
Registered
50 Posts
[:D]How about a woman's opinion here! My hubby had a Polaris RXL 650 & the friends all had 600s and up. Hubby gave me a fan cooled 440 Indy Trail. It was a few years old and I could start it just fine on my own. BUT I couldn't keep up with anyone! AND when we went ice fishing in the spring she'd overheat. So this season I went out and got myself a pretty little liquid cooled Polaris Pro X 800! Now I'm keeping up with the big boys! [}:)] Seriously though, don't make the mistake of getting the wife an underpowered machine...she'll just be frustrated. A liquid cooled 500 or 600 (if she like the speed!) with electric start, (I can't start my machine on my own when the temp falls below -15C[xx(])...reverse is a nice option too. I'm partial to Polaris so I would suggest an XC...or the touring if she'll be taking kiddies along.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
wow thats quite the beast to be pulling around... Or should I say, be pulled by.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
This year my brother's friend's mom got a Ski Doo Legend 500, and she really likes it. When we were riding my friend's mom's 1997 Indy 500 blew up, so the second day out she rode the Legend 500, and she really liked it. It gives a great ride and goes pretty good. Plus it has the engine reversing reverse and electric start.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by Slider
[br]Hi,
Can anyone give me advice on what to purchase for a lady. I am looking at several options. Here are my top choices.
Thanks[8D]
Looks like another 1 post wonder...sure an active topic for a guy who hasn't been here for 3 weeks.

Yeah...your welcome buddy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts