Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

When it's really cold out and I leave the sled idle to warm up it's smoking bad and fowling the plugs.

What I think it is and need a second opinion is the idle is too low.

I have a 96 Indy Storm 800 Triple and it's idleing at about 1600 rpms, I think I need to bring that upto about 2000 rpms and it should burn the extra oil from idleing too low.

It starts to backfire and sputter untill I get it going then it works great.

Check the plugs and they look fowled, now I am also running the wrong clutch weights and spring and it's engaging at about 3200-3500 rpms.

I know they are suppose to engage at 4K but I like the smoother feel it gives the sled taking off.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Snowmobile engines load up when left to idle. You should be "burping" it when idling. The spec for the idle on that machine is 1800rpms +/- 200.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Yeah...the idle doesn't sound too bad, but going to 1800-1900 may help...also check the oil injection system. It's not unheardof to have that set-up get stuck which will make too much oil at idle but at top-end it'll recieve not enough...that's BAD.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Try the spark plugs BR9EYA, as long as you use BR9ES, they are anti-fouling, my buddies 600 Polaris had the exact same problem, and my 600 ZRT fouled plugs if I drove to slow, we both run those plugs, and neither one of us foul plugs any more.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
1800 rpm idle...hmmm my purrs at 1G without fouling

try leaning the air screw out a little

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Originally posted by ZRT 600
[br]Try the spark plugs BR9EYA, as long as you use BR9ES, they are anti-fouling, my buddies 600 Polaris had the exact same problem, and my 600 ZRT fouled plugs if I drove to slow, we both run those plugs, and neither one of us foul plugs any more.
anti-fouling is the biggest load of crap ive heard, they just want u to pay more cuz they tell u its anti-fouling, i ran EYA's in my PS and i will still foul a plug once in awhile if i dont ride hard enough, and if i dont ride ahrd enough, i can feel the plugs start to go bad, and then they are fouled, unless i feel the plugs goin bad and then immediatly start to ride hard i might keep em from fouling for a lil longer

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Anti-Fouling??...don't know, but I'd still check the oil injection set. Have you gotten anywhere on it yet??

·
Registered
312 Posts
i have a 97t-cat with the 1000cc engine in it and i idle at 1000RPM and NEVER fouled a plug ,, NEVER ,,
you'l have to lean it out a little moret. The air screw should bu turned out a little more ,,,,,
definatly to rich

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
My buddy was fouling plugs every morning, and with the BR9EYA plugs he hasen't fouled one this year.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Also...not to anger anyone...I don't know about that "burping" thing. Maybe it depends on the sled. I got a 93 Yami Venture GT that I have (accidentally) let idle for 20 min straight w/o fouling. The same sled I choke, crank, half-choke, and then no choke and let warm up for 10 minutes w/o touching the throttle. Acadian may be right tho...lean that sucker out and see what happens...just not too much...make adjustments slowly, nothing too big, too fast...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts