Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. nice place ya got here.

i won a snowmobile off a guy in a poker game last spring, i got a bill of sale and rode her the 30k home and have done nothing with it since, aside from letting her idle with the oil cable pulled and adding some fuel conditioner.
im acctualy not even positive what year it is, all i know is it is a v-max 700 triple and its freakin fast. buddy told me he thought it was a 96, after searching the internet i'm under the impression it must be a 97 because it seems there was no v-max 700 in 96. anybody able to clear this up?
i'm having trouble finding a manual and was wondering if anyone knew where i could find an owners manual online? i've had no luck finding anything through yamaha sites, unless i want to get my keyboard synthesiser tuned up.
if nobody knows where to find a manual, a quick "what to do" to get my sled ready for the season would likely do. i was hoping there would be a thread like that here for the noobs but havent found it yet.
anything i need to know about adjusting the suspension and such i can likely figure out trial and error.

thanks alot
rex

ps: we got about ten inches of snow in the last couple days and i'm startin to itch. supposed to be a gorgeous winter. can't wait to get out there.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Originally posted by 500fasEnuf
[br]You made out like a bandit there my friend.

Welcome to the forum!

The best thing to do now is to do some tear down and maintenance before you jump on those bad boys & rip up the powder.

1. Carbs > Take them off carefully, (take pics with a digital camera if you have to) take them inside to clean them up. Get some spray carb cleaner & wear some safety glasses, you don't want that stuff in your eyes. Take the bottom bowl off and use lots of cleaner to get rid of any varnish are green crud that may be gumming things up.

2. Clutches > Remove the belt by grabbing the top near the front clutch and pull up and back, that should open up the rear sheaves allowing you to slip it off. Some Polaris clutch lube is a good investment here, but don't use tonnes of it, just enough to get things moving nicely. Remove the center bolt from the rear or secondary clutch & remove it. Use a snap ring plier to remove the sanp ring from the rear of the clutch. Take her apart & check the ramp buttons inside are in good shape, then lube it up & re-assemble.

3. Grease > Before you put the clutch back on, grease the jack shaft (top crossssahft) and drive shaft (bottom shaft that goes through the track). There is quite a few spots to grease on your machine, mostly in the suspensions, wherever there is a crossshaft or steering movement there will be one. Use a good low temp grease.

4. Traction > check your carbides to see if they are still good, replace if needed; check the alignment of your track to be sure it's running true on the sliders.

WELCOME once again & happy wrenching!
I hope this helps

·
Registered
385 Posts
You are right about the year. Yamaha didn't come out with a 700 Vmax until 97. You cn view the owners manual on line at
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/service/viewmanuals/sport_manuals.aspx

The only part that sucks is that it is 98 and up. It should still be the same

·
Registered
318 Posts
Indeed it should be a 97. This was the first year of the v-max 700 triple with single pipe. It is a 700 sx correct?

This is a great forum (my personal favorite), but there is a really good Yamaha forum with all the information you could dream: www.totallyamaha.com

also see yamahas website for parts schematics:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/lifestylehome/home.aspx

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. thats just what i needed. i figured if all her parts were clean and lubed up she'd be ready to ride. [:D]
i stumbled across that yamaha forum before looking for a manual but yea it only goes back to 98. anybody know if they changed much from 97 to 98?
sx i think. it had a black hood with yellow and red decals but in an effort to save weight i got rid of the decals. between that and the blue "real fire" i plan on airbrushing on the hood that should give me another 30-40 horsepower easy.[:)]
thanks again
rex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts