Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys I'm kind of at a loss on what to do now. i'm startign to grow up and i relized that speed isn't for me anymore i took my sled out today got to about 60 and said screw this where usually i would just full throttle it. but i really do like jumping my question is what sled should i look into getting? i like to jump and go out ditch banging i want to have a sled that can handle a ramp session and yet be able to go ride ditches all day. any info would be great. i would like to stick with yamaha if possible. i'm plannign on sellign my v-max to help buy a new sled and i have 5k saved up.

[red]try posting in the proper forum next time[/red]

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
If i were you i would look into a prox, these sleds are just plain tough!! iam looking for new sled but having a hard time on deciding on one because the prox is just so god damn tough i dont want to get ride of it!

·
Registered
725 Posts
look into a used 440 race sled, my buddy just picked up a 05 rev 440 that was already converted for $4000. he rides just like you described. you will have trouble finding a yamaha 440 racer though.

·
Registered
481 Posts
There are lots of choices out there for that type of riding. Revs were born to fly. The pro-x's are good, firecats too.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Originally posted by YooperRider
[br]look into a used 440 race sled, my buddy just picked up a 05 rev 440 that was already converted for $4000. he rides just like you described. you will have trouble finding a yamaha 440 racer though.
Dont bother with a 440 unless you can tune motors well, 440 dont run right unles rejeted for the temp, once rejeted they run good. Imo i would just buy a 600 prox,revx,snopro. All of those are great sleds that will serve you well!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats exactly what i was thinkign used race sled... but i'm not very michanical. heard any good or bad reviews on the nex mxz xrs 600 or 800?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
The xrs 600/800 is just a rev with seat and shocks, it dosnt even have a full 440 brace kit, buy a used x sled or a left over save some money and mod it out. If your not good with motors dont buy a 440.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
i say the prox my wife's brother haves one and it is sweet he jumps the hell out of it and ditchbangs all day long and the sled still holds up

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Maybe if you are lucky you could find a 440 racer with a 600 700 800 motor dropped in it. Those motors are a lot less temperamental. But good luck finding one, it would be sweet though.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i did some callign around i can get a used iq chassis was raced 3 races. what im thinking is we have a 91 indy 500 wiht a blown chassis but the motor is still good think i could drop the 500 into the iq chassis?

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Originally posted by proxJ
[br]
[br]look into a used 440 race sled, my buddy just picked up a 05 rev 440 that was already converted for $4000. he rides just like you described. you will have trouble finding a yamaha 440 racer though.
Dont bother with a 440 unless you can tune motors well, 440 dont run right unles rejeted for the temp, once rejeted they run good. Imo i would just buy a 600 prox,revx,snopro. All of those are great sleds that will serve you well!
jet it for a 440 trail, but a trail cdi in it, and low compression heads and your set.

Well, with that kind of cash, I would be looking into a rev. Ski-doo's are just meant to take a pounding. Remember, this is coming from a guy who's ridden Yamahas, Polaris's, ski-doos, and cat's. The rev was just built for what your lookig to do. A 600 sdi doesen't sound better either. A polaris pro-x with a shorty seat would also be nice. Or a 2003+ Arctic Cat snopro

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Originally posted by extremesummerfilms
[br]
Originally posted by proxJ
[br]
jet it for a 440 trail, but a trail cdi in it, and low compression heads and your set.

Well, with that kind of cash, I would be looking into a rev. Ski-doo's are just meant to take a pounding. Remember, this is coming from a guy who's ridden Yamahas, Polaris's, ski-doos, and cat's. The rev was just built for what your lookig to do. A 600 sdi doesen't sound better either. A polaris pro-x with a shorty seat would also be nice. Or a 2003+ Arctic Cat snopro
Have you owned a 440 race sled, do you know how much work is in voled with keeping it running top notch? It is not just jet it once and be done with it. It is constant jetting and maintenance. They are great sleds for guy who want to go out 1 or 2 times a week to ride ditchs for a while or a ramp session, They arnt a sled that u just start and go, you need to rejet them tons.

For the iq with the indy 500 ideal it would be a dog and you would need to find proper pipe for it and find/fabracate tons of other parts. Just ask Erik his IQ build was not simple. If i were you id look for a prox, snopro, revx 600. IMO those sled would suite your riding style perfectly have tons of grunt and still be a reliable sled. If you want to make it ready for huge jumps do a 440 brace kit if you get a rev and re valve the shocks, then you will be set to go. If you decide on a prox well which ever one of the consumer sled you get are just plain TOUGH mine gets the snot beaten outa it and as long as you maintain the sled frequently its just like new. I dont have much input on a snow pro 600 because i don't pay any attention at all to cats. There are numerous "consumer" sleds in slednecks so don't think there a week pos.

JMO on this subject.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks jay i'm thinking about just buying a pro-x or a rev. i know that the iq with a 500 would be a hard build but i'm willing to learn and have a close family friend who's a sled mechanic. what do you think about a phazer fz revalved of course with fish bones? i just want your guy's ideas and opinions i may not follow them but i'll get more info. thanxs for the reply's

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Well i drove the pahzer for 200 miles and well its fun ass sled but you cant forget that it only has 80hp, the sled jumps awesome was taking 30 foot doubles NP! I personaly enjoy my prox, but if you have the money step up and buy a rev.... Iam looking for a new sled at the moment but either or are strong sleds. I think a iq 440 with a 500 would just be gutless.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
The Iq with a 500 in it is a waste of a perfectly good chassis. Not to be harsh or anything but you wont be impressed at all. The 440 in it now probally has it by 20 horse on race fuel. (No clue in the converted form) Jetting isnt brain surgery. Take the time to learn it and get a jetting chart from a racer or possibly dealer and just read around the forums. You will pick things up.

Then you have the problem of the small tank. You can either use a rev seat and tank which bolts on or a boss seat and rev tank. Otherwise you need to drop some change on a custom tank.

You need low compression domes and will have to do some inital carb tuning to get everything running right.

I know you think you need race suspension but if you plan on trail riding at all you will regret the setup. Especially in tight winding trails where you cant open it up and use the suspenion when it works best. When going FAST. The rigidness of the chassis is nice and you wont mind not bending running boards and your front end.

As far as the phazer that would be a great sled for you. Relaible, good suspension, decent power and gas mileage.

Stay away from becoming a PLP or BMW. If you dont "need" the sled and its capabilities then why waste a lot of money to look cool or just to tell your buddies that you are [email protected] becuase you ride a race sled.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for opinion ryan im thinking about just scrapping the iq with a 500 motor and buying a phazer. i trail ride maybe 5% of the time at most. i know its got low horse but all I really want is 0-50 to have power a little clutching and gearing will take care of that if stock isn't enough. do you gusy think that the stock suspension set up will be good enough to handle hitting ramps?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Originally posted by v-maxsledder
[br]thanks for opinion ryan im thinking about just scrapping the iq with a 500 motor and buying a phazer. i trail ride maybe 5% of the time at most. i know its got low horse but all I really want is 0-50 to have power a little clutching and gearing will take care of that if stock isn't enough. do you gusy think that the stock suspension set up will be good enough to handle hitting ramps?
Do you have any huge ramps to hit? What are the size of jumps you are planing on doin? all you have to do if you start botoming REALLY hard is revalve your shocks, basicly revalve your shocks stiffer as you go.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
mxzx 600

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
i ahve a phazer mtn lite and when it comes to jumong these sleds are beautiful. b4 clearing 10 feet was huge for me but the phazer gives you such confidence and it has so much travel, and if you get off camber or you hitting and awkward jump in a dithc or sumthing u can just toss it in the right postion and ur good. even compared to an 05 rev i rode the phazer is much more nice i think. i think if u can dish out the cash get a phazer fx. i think the iq is also another good sled to go with. sleds like phazer and iq that have hardly any nose are very nice for jumping.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts