Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sled was bogging out, so i took both the carbs off and cleaned them, and the problem is still there. By bogging out i mean that when i start my snowmobile, it will idle but when i give it gas at time it will die out on me making a bogging noise only when the carbs suck in air. I noticed now that it is one of my carbs thats making the noise. took the air box off and can hear it.. any suggestions on what the problem is and what i can do to resolve it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
622 Posts
check your carb boots(mount brackets) see if their cracked. Also check your fuel supply (ensure free flow) and or choke to ensure it's not stuck on. report back after with findings.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Also check to make sure it is not the crank seal sucking air that you are hearing by spraying it with ether while it is running. A rise in rpms will let you know if it is sucking air.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked and the boots are in good condition and the choke is working just fine. The fuel supply i didnt check but it seems to be fine. The noise it makes is similar to this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVzqqpgviyI at 3:55 so my guess is that the carb isnt tuned right?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Sounds like you have a lean bog. Turn your air screws in a full turn and see if that helps the condition. What motor and what kind of carbs do you have?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will go ahead and try that, i went ahead and filmed what its doing, maybe that will help.. its a polaris engine 488cc and im not sure what type the carbs are.

I turned it one full turn in and now it idles a lot higher and still makes the same bogging noise, heres the video of my sled with the issue before i turned it a complete turn in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u14Z9MRbNg

Thanks!

·
Registered
632 Posts
pull the plugs and see what they look like after the bogging.

·
Registered
622 Posts
heh, is this an edge? cause i had the same issue now that i think about it. it ended up being the washer under the main jet or pilot jet (cannot remmber what one). which i later to find out is not a washer but a spacer and it was worn out and i had one missing so the holes in the item wehre not lineing up at all. just a though. Let me see if i can find an image on the net to show you also I found over tighting them will also cause the same issue you are discribing.

http://parts.polarisind.com/Assemblies.asp

click on the second listing to the right for the carb. the part i am talking about should be under 28 or 35

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@ trailjunkie, the spark plugs are new, when i took them out they were wet and had some black residue.

Thanks Pharotek!the sleds an indi trail, i went ahead and re cleaned the carbs and tuned the air valve to one full turn out after fully tightened. i also adjusted the idle to about 1700. The carbs are Mikuni and i think a full rotation out is about right, i could be wrong and please do correct me on that. Aside from that, the bogging is pretty much gone.

Another thing im having problems with, on my 93 arctic cat, i have to always keep reving the engine in order for the engine to run, once the throttle is released the engine dies, any thoughts on this? basically it wont idle unless i rev it.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
motermike93 said:
Another thing im having problems with, on my 93 arctic cat, i have to always keep reving the engine in order for the engine to run, once the throttle is released the engine dies, any thoughts on this? basically it wont idle unless i rev it.

Thanks!!!
Clean the carbs, adjust the idle speed, and verify the throttle cable tension is right (if it has the same safety switches as Polaris does.

·
Registered
632 Posts
If the plugs are wet, obviously its getting too much fuel. needle and seats may be damaged, just an idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts