Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 96 ultra keeps fouling plugs, what is causing this???? i start the sled and shut it off and the next time i try to start it it won't start and at least 1 or 2 of the plugs are fouled!
any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
The one thing that first came to my mind is that you needle and seat are not seating. I have this problem with my 95 xcr 600 and I have to shut the gas off every time i am done riding it so the gas doesnt siphon back and flood the motor or if it gets bad enough it can fill your crankcase up with gas.This isnt to uncommon for some polaris sleds. Your carbs might also need to be cleaned or jetted different..

95 xcr 600
99 RMK 700
If you have control your not going fast enough!!!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well First off if you are fouling plugs you are getting too much gas. So you need to check your choke to make sure its properly adjusted. Also if your only running your sled for short periods of time, you may want to run it a little bit longer to maybe clean out they crank of any excess gasoline. Also if you are using old (stale) gas, add new. My sled fouls plugs like crazy on that old gas. So the next step is to wait until the wether cools down and see, your sled is not jetted for this warmer temperature. Next if it still fouls plugs look at your inlet needles and seats. if this doesnt solve the problem, look into the jetting situation a little further, make sure you have the correct jets installed. If the plugs are soaking wet with gasoline, then i would say needles and seats. Any more questions just ask.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Aaww! T.o.U you aways get to answer the easy ones first. He's right as usual. Since its two cylinders and its unlikely that two needle and seats are bad at the same time, check things that are common to all cylinders first. Choke cable, gas, ignition. come to mind. Then did someone already say float levels?
But usually its dirt in the carbs or air passages, Heck I even had a mouse build a nest in my air box one year.
Reasonable people adapt to the world around them....Unreasonable people try to change it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree with the suggestions above but would like to add my $0.00025 Cdn. as well.
My last sled was very tempermental when it came to gas quality.
If I had any moisture in it at all, (I found this happened more often running premium octane.) it would backfire, pop and foul both plugs very quickly.
That's where it earned that term of endearment, "The Barker." I think the pipes I had on it may have had something to do with it too. LOL
You may try switching to a plug that has a finer centre (center for our friends to the south.) electrode. They seemed to foul less often in my experience. They're a little pricier, but how much are you really saving if you're replacing plugs all the time and your buds are waiting up the trail again. (Last one there buys the first round. Of sodapop of course.)
Anyway, it's just a thought.

Good luck.
Jeff

RIDE SAFE - RIDE SOBER
or
DRIVE LIKE LIGHTNING,
CRASH LIKE THUNDER!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts