Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brother roilled his 500 last year. it bent and cracked the key. is there a number some where on the sled that u can take to the dealer and order in a new one? thanks

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
all polaris keys work in all polaris's, all AC keys work in all ACs, all ski doo keys (up to a certain year when they made anti theft) will work in Ski doos, all yamaha keys will work in yamahas.

all this is within certain years, like a key from a 1980 AC wont work in a 95 AC...

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we have tryed other keys but none seam to work...u realy dont need a key but since hes selling it he doesnt realy wannatellthe guy or gal that u can turn the key slot with a screw driver...not a real good selling point

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
what kind of sled is it?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
As far as Polaris, I have been told they make 4 different keys. Look on the rubber part of the key above the word Polaris. You will see a dot or dots there(1-4 dots). If you can find a key with the same number of dots it should work. This was told to me by someone and I have not been able to confirm it myself. Would like to hear if it is true.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thats true for polaris, found that out last year when the same key worked on a couple of different polaris's. I belive that key had 3 notches on the key.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its a 91 polaris indy 500 sp. my bro is thinking of goin to the sled yards and looking for a key. thanks for all ur help guys

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Try to find another Indy 500, most likely it will have the same key. My dad's 95 Indy Trail uses the same key as my 98 Indy Trail

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
ACEXLT that's exactly how polaris is, madd dog if you bring it to the local polaris shop, they might try the keys for your, or I think if you give them the serial number off the sled they might be able to tell you which one.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I picked up a second key for both of mine.
Look where you slip the key in, some have a number... 1,2 etc. Do you have the end of the broken key?, I has dot in one corner.
Last resort take the switch off and head to the dealer, he'll find the key, there a limited number.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
my 91 indy 500 had 5 different keys avail. there is a letter a thru e on the key or switch, i don't remember which. but that would narrow it down for ya...

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
on all of our keys we got has indents over the word polaris mt bros has 1 mine has 2 his gf's has 4 and his gf's uncle has 4. so were going to the dealer tomorrow to pick up a key. look at the new sleds n i might buy a couple belts.

·
Registered
274 Posts
ha me and 2 of my riding buddies all have the polaris key with 1 dot,

madd_dog, just yank one of the wires out of the back of the ignition and the sled will start without a key

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
like i said we are selling it, and hot wirering isnt really a great selling point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts