Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i'm stopped and punch it it takes maybe 3-4 secs for it to gain revs and actually start spinning. its only a 95 indy light 340 but still it should be able to spin right when u pin it in powder.... could this be a clutch problem? we havent cleaned the clutches yet since 95. just my idea i dont know much about fixing them.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Sounds like you aren't backshifting. I'd take the secondary apart and make sure the buttons are still there and clean it up.

·
Registered
450 Posts
the buttons. teflon-type rounf peices inside the secondary that the helix angles slide on.. when you get the clutch apart you'll see what he's referring to.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Do a yearly maintenance and do the following
clean clutches, clean carbs full tear down, fresh fuel, new plugs
Start there and see how it gets

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Also, replace both the primary and secondary springs, 12 year old springs will not give you good performance. Make sure the primary to secondary is aligned correctly, and the track is aligned correctly. That 340 doesn't have a lot of extra hp.. you want to make things as easy as you can for the engine.

If it's using the stock jets, you can jet down a size as well; Polaris jets pretty fat from the factory.

I'm not sure on the 1995, but on the 1992 Indy 340 Lite I had, the clutches were P-90's instead of P-85's, and the sled was direct drive; no jackshaft or chaincase to worry about. You are definitely right; you should have enough power to spin the track, the sled is light! Mine was a blast to ride, kind of wish I would have kept it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
You should make sure your clutches are in good operating condition with a new belt. Measure the distance between the belt and the primary clutch face. The distance should be 0.20 of an inch. If you have a larger gap than that it will have a bog like you describe. Take it to a dealer and have them index your primary clutch, they have the correct tools needed. If you have access to a manual it will show you how to measure this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts