Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my brother went out riding yesterday for the first time. Well we were going along and he started to feel his sled bog, so he pulled over and shut it off. i opend the and looked at the plugs they looked fine, so we tried to start it again. I noticed the rope was pulling very hard compared to normal. At that point i figured it is blown up, so i just give it a hard pull and it starts up and idles fine, give it gas and it seems to pick up rpms decent. So he gets on and takes off goes about 40 yards but it seems very boggy, so he shuts it off. I change the plugs this time grab the rope and i cant budge it. Tried turning the clutch by hand but it is tight. After a little force i can now turn the clutch a little but still to stiff to pull the rope. What would be causing this is the motor toast or is something else seized up. I thought motor at first but when it stoped the first time we got it started and it idled fine. Would a bearing in the crank do this?? By the way it is a 1995 Formula SL

·
Registered
187 Posts
what kind of sled is it? Yes, it's very possible it could be a crank bearing. Could also be a piston as well. Either way, something is wrong inside. Time for a rebuild. that sucks dude. keep us informed as to what you find. if you need more help, just ask. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
How's your water level. The way your story goes makes me lean towards excessive heat.

You could pull the heads off and look for scoring as well.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as water level it is a fan. I took the heads of tonight and the pistons and jugs look great. The rings look good which leads me to believe it has to be a bearing on the crank.

·
Registered
187 Posts
more than likely then. if you can spin it over by hand and the jugs look good from what you can see, then you'll probably have to pull the cases apart to check the crank. let us know what you find. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i took the motor out and started to tear it down. I cant get three of the allen head bolts out they are froze in there tight. I have basicaly the whole thing tore down except for those three bolts. Might have to try and drill the heads off of them, so i can split the case. Then try to use a vise grip on the stud sticking out. If that dont work going to have to cut the stud drill it out and tap it. Lets hope the visegrip works.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
no need for that get youre self a big punch and hammer on those frozen bolt ,several good licks and usually are broken free

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was trying that but i dint have a very big punch. I will go and buy a bigger one so i can actually hit it without smashing my fingers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
my buddy has a 98 formula sl and the same thing happened to his. he put new pistons in and it fired right up. there is no needle bearing cage so he said it took him a long time to put them back in by hand. but from your info it sounds like it is a crank problem and not the pistons. but w.e it is hopfully you get that thing goin soon and get out there on the trails!

·
Registered
6 Posts
...for what it's worth, I had a '96 Polaris XLT & had the exact same symptoms as you described. Turned out that I blew the PTO side crank bearing & took out the PTO side cylinder wall along the way, which I have come to understand was a big problem for mid '90s XLTs.

I ended up parting out the engine & dropped in a used engine that I found at a swap meet. Pretty much sucked money-wise, but I learned a ton along the way. Best of luck!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i got the case split open today. I went and borrowed my uncles impact driver, a couple hits with that and the bolts freed up. The pto side bearing is what was causing the problem. The plastic thing that holds the bearings in place was melted into a ball. So now i just have to order the parts and put it back together.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If the other bearings are good, then just put new PTO bearings in. Use a bearing splitter and a press to get the old ones off. Good idea to run a dial indicator on the pto side once you have the new bearings on.
-Polaris Doc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts