Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My srv 540 is loosing power, it will barely move and is "popping" towards the beggining of the pipe, maybe i need new seals, or could od blown piston ring and running on one piston. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I am not familiar with that sled so bare with me if I am wrong.

You have two options.

1. If it is dual carbed -

Is the manifold colder on the bad side?

If so, go through the carb and clean thouroughly.

2. Pull the head off and take it a look. It definetely doesn't sound good, but carbs can cause some wierd things.

*potentially bad reed petals* - Kind of a guess there, but has potential.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay, i'll check that out the carb , I'll let you know what I find, possibly take of the top end, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
102 Posts
It is making a poping/pinging sound? It could be detonation problem (ie engine knock)... could be caused by overheating from your air/fuel being to lean. What do the plugs look like, they should be a caramel color and dry, if they are white (or worse, the electrodes are melted) you could be leaning out. If you're leaning out it could be from an air leak, from the carbs being dirty, or other reasons. First, check the plugs, compare them to the pictures in the guide below. Next, do a compression test on each cylinder... make sure to have the throttle wide open when running the test. If it were me, I would not run the engine untill you haved checked the plugs and the compression.

Plug diognosis:
http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Spark_Plugs_catalog.html

·
Registered
102 Posts
Originally posted by steve2323
[br]good god get rid of that sled they were all cursed at the factory
Naw, you can get the exorcism kit from Dennis Kirk... they run fine after that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
pull plugs.maby u blew a head gasket.clean out the carbs take out all carb parts and soke in carb cleaner over night. [Bevis]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts