Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor told me this morning that his sled will get up to about 65 or 70 and the engine just stops and the sled stops running. It's a 97 or 98 MXZ 583. I've never heard of anything like this with any sled, but maybe someone here has. The only thing I could think of is maybe something is wrong with the carbs, but I honestly don't really know. He said his dad's buddies told him it could have been the wrong size plugs. I didn't really think that sounded right, but I don't know. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Wannabe any time I have ever had a motor just stop it seized a piston. Tell him to pull his plugs and take a look at them. That should tell him which piston is having the problem. Do a compression test. Riley

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
to me it sounds like something with the ignition. like it is getting too much current then shutting it down. i could be way off here but ive seen that happen before. im sure someone else will know more then i do when it comes to this

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have had it happen due to a bump causing a wire to short against the frame. Does it restart and how consistant is it?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I wasn't told much, but that it restarts and does it again...always at about 65 or so. They checked the plugs I think...I really wasn't told all that much though. He asked me cuz I know way more about sleds than he does...and probly even his dad. He's probly just gonna bring it into the dealer and have it looked at cuz I don't think I'd be much help. He'd ask my dad, but he hasn't been up in a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts