Snowmobile Fanatics banner

sled smokes alot

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ArcticPhil 
#1 ·
I got the Powder special out the other day while i was cleanin the garage and just had to take it up the ally once. that thing smoked like a friggin banshy. It was fairly warm not completly warmed up but close to it. Is there any way i can check the oil pump to make sure it isnt pumping like im w.o.t. even when its ideling?

#2 ·
First ride and warmer weather...it's going to smoke like no other. Wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps it up.

#3 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
well put, the oil flows better when it's warmer therefor the sled smokes more. if its still doing it when its 30 degrees out or colder then start looking at the oil pump.

#5 ·
if your really worried about it, you might be able to get some info out of one of the tech's at your local dealership. they should be able to tell you where it should be set at, or you can take it in and have them give that system a once over.

#6 ·
30, could be pushing it, however being the first run is what I was leaning more towards.

You also said it wasn't completely warmed up, this can be a big factor in that as well.

Plugs could be getting bad, try changing them once.

If your oil pump was putting out too much then I doubt it would run very good at idle.

If you do want to check your pump, just watch the lever that your cable attaches to when you feather the throttle. If it moves, it's working properly. If it doesn't work, then your cable is broke somewhere.

*edit* - I should add, if cables break on your oil pump then they stick wide open. It's a safety feature they added.

#7 ·
Thanls black cat I saw the lever was moving when i move the throttle. I didnt know how they was set up tho. It does have new plugs. I think this weekend IM gonna get it back out and let it warm up to operate temp and see what it does. I guess to much smoke is better than not enough right

#8 ·
I did find out a little bit ago that now all manufacturers have that feature on the pumps, the sled mentioned was an '98 Mach 1. So apparently that theory will not apply to all sleds. However AC has been doing it for quite some time, so your safe...your friends may not be. [:p]

My ZR always used to smoke like no other, never could figure out what caused it. It also reaked horribly. I threw on an aftermarket can and the smoke decreased substantially as did the smell. My guess is that either there was a large amount of oil or a mouse nest in the can.

Point being you could just have some oil or something else in your exhaust.

Something to think about and check if it keeps it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.