Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting a Toy Hauler RV soon and have thought of using it for snowmobiling. Problem is, after a day on the snow, we all know sleds have a good amount of snow melting leakage from the suspension that would end up all over the RV floor. Does anyone use a toy hauler for snowmobiling??? What would be a good solution for this? It sure would be nice to have a restroom and kitchen along with a place to sleep while out in the woods.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No ideas whatsoever guys? A person on another forum suggested driving the sled over a tarp then wrapping the tarp up and letting the water drip towards the back when melted. I know there's gotta be a better solution.

·
Registered
915 Posts
how many sleds can you fit in one of those? I dont think you will be able to put them side by side. The part where you put you sled is heated and will cause the snow to melt?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
how about putting kitty litter on the tarp to absorb all of the water may sound dumb but that is prett absorbant.

·
Registered
910 Posts
it might be pricey, but have it sized out and put a thick plastic(like a bedliner) molded liner in the back, i have seen on tv a place that will come out and laser measure it for you so it fits perfect, like i said don't know how much it is but i am sure that would keep everything else from getting wet.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Could roll some Hurculiner on there. Then it would just wipe right off. But hmm...Seriously just put like a little wall or something so if there is water that it cant get into the rest of the RV.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure what would fit. I only have one. I know it's supposed to fit like 2 quads and a dirt bike. It has fold up sofas so you can drive your toys way towards the front of the unit. Not sure if it would fit wide wise. What are the dimension requirements for 2 sleds side by side?

I also thought of a spray in liner would do the trick too. How much snow usually melts off of a sled? Would it flood the whole entire floor? I never paids attention as I have a flat open trailer.

I just looked up the specs and the overall width of the trailer is 102" so it just might fit 2 sleds. I think the cargo area in the back is 10' long. Even if you took off 12" for the walls and fold up sofas, you're still sitting at 90" wide. Not sure if that would fit two sleds.

·
Registered
910 Posts
barely, and they would still be a little staggered in there i want to say most sled are about 46" wide outside ski to outside ski

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
You CAN fit 2 sleds in most toy haulers. All of the ones I've looked at have the area where your sleds are totally quarantined from the rest of the camper (as far as snow goes). Then some have the bunks that lower on top of that area when the sleds are outside. I'm basically saying it's not a big deal. I work with a guy that bought a big triple axle and I wanna say it was around 80 grand. Cool to have, but it'd take many years to justify in my book. Think of how many years of hotel lodging that would pay for. Even at 30 grand. Plus, the extra load and gas on your truck (fifth wheel).

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
^LOTS O' PROPANE!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, I looked up some specs and it is 98 inches wide inside. Mine is not a triple axle. It is a 24' trailer with toy space on back of course with two fold up sofas/beds that face each other and a queen drop down bed on back. The kitchen and bath are way to the front of the trailer. I think the rinse off idea would work good. It's not a lot of snow and rinsing it off would leave minimal dripping. I don't know, I might sell it before next season but incase I can't because of the sluggish economy I want to have some use for it. I've acquired it on a trade with an old chevy pickup I had that I didn't use or have interest in.

·
Registered
486 Posts
what about building a slight raised platform and have a drain? kindof like a camper sewer tank.

·
Registered
108 Posts
before my father died we had one. there was a whole seperate area that the toys were stored in. the floor was diamond plate with a splash guard that went like 10" up the wall so you didnt damage it. never had any real problems with water collecting in there. it wasnt heated so the snow didnt melt really fast and whatever snow did melt onto the floor you could squeegee out when you got home. one thing we did do when there was a lot of snow in the rear susp was hook up a garden hose to the hot water and rinse the snow right out of them while they were on the drive ramp. there would only be minimal water driping off the sleds. as far as fitment, we always drove one in and then backed the other one in.

1,792 Posts
krazymatt said:
I'm planning on getting a Toy Hauler RV soon and have thought of using it for snowmobiling. Problem is, after a day on the snow, we all know sleds have a good amount of snow melting leakage from the suspension that would end up all over the RV floor. Does anyone use a toy hauler for snowmobiling??? What would be a good solution for this? It sure would be nice to have a restroom and kitchen along with a place to sleep while out in the woods.
you looking for the expensive solution or the cheap one? You could build a 2x2 square frame to keep the sides up(and water contained), and then lay a truck bed liner (but may not be long enough - only 8ft - known as the xpensive solution unless you find a used one) down over top, but leave the back edge of the frame able to lift out of a slot to remove for driving in/out of without driving over the frame. Or, if you don't have studs, you could go with a heavy duty poly tarp and the frame mentioned above.

krazymatt said:
How much snow usually melts off of a sled?

About a half to a gallon (?) if all the snow off the skis/tunnel/track melted

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the ideas guys. The other issue is the skis gashing the floor or tearing the tarp. The diamond plate idea sounds good. Skis might gash it though. Expensive too probably though.

A hard plastic/rubber type of material would work good too. Where could I find stuff like that in bulk? Like the material used for truck bed mats that's like 1/2" thick or thicker.

·
Registered
30 Posts
krazymatt said:
Thanks for all the ideas guys. The other issue is the skis gashing the floor or tearing the tarp. The diamond plate idea sounds good. Skis might gash it though. Expensive too probably though.

A hard plastic/rubber type of material would work good too. Where could I find stuff like that in bulk? Like the material used for truck bed mats that's like 1/2" thick or thicker.
They make thick rubber mats to go in horse trailers. I believe that they come in various sizes. Check with any farm supply store.

·
Registered
108 Posts
krazymatt- where do you live?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
fusionshuk06 said:
I always wondered how hard it would be to heat one of those or even a camper in the winter
i dont thik there hard to heat at all but you have to watch it if you have a studded strack those floor in campers arnt made of anything along with your runners i think they will ruin the floor

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1FastSPX97 said:
krazymatt- where do you live?
Northern New Mexico. Why?

The rubber mat idea sounds like the best option. Who cares if it gets scarred up. I don't have ice spikes. The rubber mat idea along with rinsing the suspension of most snow with warm water from the camper's water heater before loading it will get rid of most snow drippage. Thanks...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts