Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my brother have been talking about getting Chatterbox's so we can talk to eachother when were on our sleds. 10 years ago my parents had chatterbox's that worked pretty good. I just looked into them and they have much more advanced systems now with bluetooth to connect to your phone, music streaming, and you can connect up to 3 people to the XBi2 intercom.

Also, on the Chatterbox website (http://www.chatterboxusa.com/) they have "transmitters" and "intercoms." Whats the difference???

Does anyone else know of any comparable brands that are available that work good.

Finally, are there any communication systems that anyone knows about they you can have 4 people with their own units all talking to each other so if my group of 4 sleds all gets communicators, we can all talk.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
We run Colletts. Most of these radios should have two channels. An "international" (this channel also allows for a groomer warning beacon to be broadcast-you will know when you get to about 1/2 to 1/4 miles from the groomer if the groomer is so equiped) and a "club" or local channel that you can have set at the factory. This allows everyone with the same radio brand to talk with each other. You may have troubles talking with someone if they have a model that is older than the one you have. That is not always the case. Ours are not the newest so the do not have bluetooth. I know people that do and their opinions are split on whether that is worth it or not.

Intercoms are used by 2 people on the same sled. They are not meant for group riding. You want the "transmitter" kind.

Look at the Collett web site and see what might suit you best. Just did a quick look at Chatterbox. Multiple channels might be a good thing or not. Everyone has to know what channel to be on-just like handheld radios. The talk groups are probably similar to the channel splits on hand held radios.

Radio are nice as long as you don't have a "chatty Kathy" in the group.

·
Registered
104 Posts
sledfreak139 said:
Me and my brother have been talking about getting Chatterbox's so we can talk to eachother when were on our sleds. 10 years ago my parents had chatterbox's that worked pretty good. I just looked into them and they have much more advanced systems now with bluetooth to connect to your phone, music streaming, and you can connect up to 3 people to the XBi2 intercom.

Also, on the Chatterbox website (http://www.chatterboxusa.com/) they have "transmitters" and "intercoms." Whats the difference???

Does anyone else know of any comparable brands that are available that work good.

Finally, are there any communication systems that anyone knows about they you can have 4 people with their own units all talking to each other so if my group of 4 sleds all gets communicators, we can all talk.
Whatever you get, don't use "Snophone," or whatever the hell it is called. I bought four of them years ago and the sound quality was trash.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Just tried updating the Chatterboxs to the most expensive ones. JUNK JUNK JUNK.
Both of them sounded like shit and the VOX worked like shit.
Went back to the old trusty FRS multi sports that have worked fine for me for many years. After a while (3 to 5 years) they start going to hell but they are still the best bang for the buck.
Chatterbox doesn't make the FRS anymore but I found some on amazon.com for $99.95 each so I bought three of them.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know much about the systems or their features yet.
From searching google, I've found mixed reviews of both the chatterboxes and the collett's. I can't beleive what both of these systems are going for. Each want about $250 for their latest and greatest. I can't see spending that kind of money just to talk a little here and there.

I was really hoping to find an affordable system that I can use with any amount of riders. I basically want a walky talky that hooks into my helmet and has vox, I didn't know that this would be so difficult to find at a reasonable price.

I don't want to throw money away and get a shitty system. Has anyone else had any experience with other systems that are much cheaper. If so, can you provide some links to them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Has anyone ever tried the Fire Fox throat mics paired up with a FRS radio?
http://www.csonline.net/crawford/fire_fox/Fire%20Fox%20Throat%20Mics.htm
http://www.csonline.net/crawford/2008_Motorola/motorola_sx900r_frs.htm

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
We used to run colletts but the wife always thought I was swearing and yelling at her. Stupid riders....

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
sledfreak139 said:
I don't know much about the systems or their features yet.
From searching google, I've found mixed reviews of both the chatterboxes and the collett's. I can't beleive what both of these systems are going for. Each want about $250 for their latest and greatest. I can't see spending that kind of money just to talk a little here and there.

I was really hoping to find an affordable system that I can use with any amount of riders. I basically want a walky talky that hooks into my helmet and has vox, I didn't know that this would be so difficult to find at a reasonable price.

I don't want to throw money away and get a shitty system. Has anyone else had any experience with other systems that are much cheaper. If so, can you provide some links to them?

Thanks!
Might want to try and find used radios. The older Colletts run like 100-150 a pair depneding where you find them. New radios ARE outrageous.

Collett sometimes sells their radios that they donated for use at events for less than the normal retail. They still give you the full warranty.

·
Registered
622 Posts
We use Motorola walky-talkies; they make a mic kit for Sno-cross and modular helmets. Plus the Motorola has the voice activation so don't have to press a button to talk. Ours work very well no issue yet. The Motorola battery has been lasting for a full day of riding too (140mile ride).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts