Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people I talk to during conversations about how fast one sled is vs another made the comment that (other than on straight hard pack downhill with a tail wind etc etc) in a race the driver can make as much difference as the sled. What's the opinion?

An example is buddy (A) on Buddy (B)'s fast 700 sled still gets waxed in the long run by Buddy (B) on his slow sled a 500 cause (B) is just a much better driver and never lets off. Fear or brains limit some drivers more than the hp of the engine.

Don't want to get pounced on if you all disagree just want to start a discussion.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I am on the side of the driver. stock for stock in a trail race, the driver will make the biggest difference. The only time the sled/horsepower makes a bigger difference is on the lakes or climbing the mountains. I have a couple of buddies that there is no chance I will ever own a sled that makes me fast enough to keep up with them. They flat out have no fear.

·
Registered
274 Posts
darkstar thats how i learned to ride, i get better and better every year.. my best friend is usually the lead dog, and he rides throttle to the bar everywere (02 500 edge x) and everyone tries to keep up..
first year he would have to stop and wait for me
second year he would slow down once and a while
third year hes always lookin over his shoulder when he stops so i dont rearend him again lol....

·
Registered
137 Posts
hehe, too funny dude.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Yep There are only two in our group i will have no chance of passing... I can keep up. I have also been riding older sleds than them until this year, my xlt is no match for a Pro-X or F-Cat... This year might just be a different story. Come On Snow.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's all driver when the sleds are as good as they are these days.
Unless the whole gang is running big-bores (and really, what else is there?) almost any group can find a happy medium on a good trail.
BUT
When things get goin', leave the dogs at home, in my group 700 is the minimum cc allowed for our 'romps'.If you ride under 800cc (I do) you'd better have a handling set-up to match the pace.

·
Registered
671 Posts
yeaw its all the driver. last year we raced couple of 400's in 1/4 mile. the one 400 was clutched for more top end. and i raced both of em, and didnt matter which sled i was on, i still kicked ass. so gota be driver

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i agree, it is more the driver than nething, unless u are on a flat stretch on the lake, but then even some ppl get scared

·
Registered
352 Posts
its true....the driver can make a big diffrence!! also your rideing style will affect it...if you stand up real tall when you ride you can actually cach air and slow you down...but if your sitting low on your seat and staying out of the wind you have less resistance...now im talking like out on a lake going full blast....now on trails is really where the driver can make the diffrence!

·
Registered
352 Posts
PS not all sleds under 700 CCs are slow.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
and there is a difference between fast and quick [:D]

hopefully my X2 is quicker than it is fast

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think it's the driver for sure.... I have a buddy with a little 340 Yamaha Excell(I think) and in the tight and twisties he's gone... It's to hard to squeeze the bigger sleds through the narrow trails... But out in the open - bigger sleds gone.....

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
It is about 50/50 in my opinion, you have to have the iron in the first place but everything else being equal it is the rider.

Darkstar, Not giving you a hard time but rider is more like 70% of it in the mountains. As much as it looks like a point and shoot affair you would be suprised how much the rider has to do to keep the sled pointed in the right direction with Gravity constantly trying to change your course.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
^^^ I agree sorry didnt mean it to sound like that. My point was that the machine will make a bigger difference in the mountains or on the lake. When your highmarking the extra cc will help you get higher, when your lake racing the extra cc come into play cuz you have more room to let the legs stretch.

Trust me i have a ton of respect for you guys riding in the mountains. I hope to give it a try someday.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I agree with the need for more power in the mountains, if you don't have the power you definately won't be contending for the high mark. Most guys I know ride at a minimum a 700 and most ride 8's or 9's or bigger ;)

Although I had a buddy on a zr440 sno-pro in the F-Cat chassis who was highmarking everybody one day. guys couldn't believe a narrow tracked 440 was smoking them on the hill. In this case it was definately all rider.

·
Registered
352 Posts
ya you can take a good rider on a small sled and still do great but if you have a good sled and a poor driver the chances wont be good.

·
Registered
115 Posts
my girlfriend rides a 136"x2" 440 snopro, and regularly embarrasses lots of guys on much bigger sleds.

When I had my '98 500, I would leave everyone in the dust when riding trails in Manitoba, and sometimes on the river, too.

My vote is for rider all the way. Only on those super smooth lakes can you put a moron on a big motor sled and he'll run away from you.

just my 0.02
Pneuman

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
i say its 50/50 driver/sled. Reason being, if you throw an excelent driver on someones sled that will not corner, then they will not go so fast. If you throw a newbie on a sled that handles like its on rails then the newbie will probably be able to take off and leave the other person. Now a straight line shot...90/10 sled to driver.

TOU

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nobody mentioned rider weight like pneuman said his girlfriend rides a 440sno/pro with 136"X2" track she probly weighs 120lbs with boots,suit and helmet going against somebody who's 180lbs? there's really no comparison

1 - 20 of 31 Posts