Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 550 fan trail touring I just acquired. The sled was neglected for many years. I pulled the carbs and cleaned thoroughly (also replaced both needles/seats), replaced all gas lines, replaced chaincase oil, replaced plugs, and many other maintenance items. It has good compression on both cylinders. However, I cannot get the sled to go over about 40mph. I am thinking a clutching problem, but I've never really messed with clutches. If I delve into the clutches, where should I start based on the way the sled is acting. Thanks

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
A new belt would be a start regardless of how it looks. After that and if you have never had the clutches serviced, this may be a job for a shop/someone with experience. The primary clutch rollers, spring, weights and bushings need to be checked. On the secondary, the buttons, spring, helix and bushings need to be checked. There are specialized tools for various parts of both units. If you were tinkering with a bunch of sleds I would say read up, tool up and get after it but some things are better off taken somewhere.

What is the rear skid like? How are the bearings in the driveshaft/jackshaft? There are so many places for things to go wrong or hinder performance. It sounds like you tackled the fuel issues that arise. Now it's time to look at the rest. Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Make sure the baffle in the silencer isn't broken. I couldn't get one of my sleds to go over 35mph and it ended up being restricted air flow due to a broken baffle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the secondary clutch off, and it is very dirty. When I rotate the sheeves, they did not even spring back to the rest position, it just bound up and stayed where I rotated it to. I think a good cleaning is in order. Should I replace the spring, or just clean it?
By the way GoodPolaris, I like the Yukon Cornelius picture.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Yes on the the spring replacement along with the buttons while you are in there. Also look at the spring, rollers and weights in the primary as they may all be sacked out. Put a new belt on when you get the clutches in order and it will behave the way it is supposed to. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes on the the spring replacement along with the buttons while you are in there. Also look at the spring, rollers and weights in the primary as they may all be sacked out. Put a new belt on when you get the clutches in order and it will behave the way it is supposed to. Good luck.
Thanks for the replies. I ordered a new belt and inspected the primary. Once I get the new belt on, I will let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man did the new belt and fixing the primary work? Having the same problem
Me too, but I just checked my bogey wheels one is locked up and one is broke. Idk if thats the problem but on the rack it burys the needle, so I'm assuming driving with the brakes on might be it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts