Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Polaris XCF sp that runs very well for me in general. However, the thing will not idle at all. I have to sit there and burp the throttle to keep it running.

It sound like only one cylinder is running when it is idling down around 1500 rpms, and the second cylinder seems to kick in around 3000 rpms.

The main jets are a correct size (which shouldn't effect idling anyway), the needle jets are adjusted to the middle setting (which should be fine), and the idle control screws are adjusted evenly. The sled runs very well when you are actually driving it and has no hesitation in acceleration like you would expect if the carbs were out of sync.

It's not a big deal, but I would like to resolve this. It's annoying!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
almost sounds like whats wrong with my sled. i blew a piston and put in a ****ty one just to be able to goout and the rings are ****ty and it has no compression maybe thats whats wrong with your? rings could be dead absoutely no compression...do you have a problem starting it? thats just a suggestion tho it might be totally out of the ball park

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the sled has fine compression and full horsepower and it starts fine. Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think that is it. Wouldn't it be really hard to start and not run right?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Sounds to me like maybe your pilot jets are plugged.

·
Registered
644 Posts
could he alter this by makind sure there is no slack in throttle cable ? J/W

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Idle is controlled by the pilot jets. If it's not an electrical issue caused by the throttle safety switches or some other electrical gremlin, I would remove and clean or replace the pilot jets.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Originally posted by BC_Dan
[br]Idle is controlled by the pilot jets. If it's not an electrical issue caused by the throttle safety switches or some other electrical gremlin, I would remove and clean or replace the pilot jets.
^^^^^Exactly [^]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. I like to think I know Carberators pretty well, but I forgot about the pilot jet.

I'll update this post once I put new ones in or clean them.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts