Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go again!

Is there any good website for figuring this stuff out?

Here is the situation...

1990 Jag 340 Mountain Cat
-Changed fouled plug started, ran great.
-Did compression test in both cylinders for kicks. Turned off ignition(key) first time in forever.
-Went to start machine next time, throttle stuck open.
-Played with throttle got it unstuck.
-Now machine won't start.
-Checked plugs - getting spark.
-Removed handle bar cover, disconnected plug inside harness which I think is throttle stuck/kill switch override - still no go. (Would I get spark if having trouble with this?)
-Poured gas in plug sockets...no go.

OK this is where I am. Don't know where to go from here. Sled is not catching AT ALL...seems electrical to me BUT, I am getting spark at plugs.

Does ignition switch cut off spark or could that be the problem?
Could doing the compression test have caused a problem?
Is there anything else besides electrical that would stop it from starting with spark and fuel in plug socket?

Thanks for your help,

Chiefkp

-

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
did you cj\heck your needle valve to make sure it is seating all the way and didnt pop out when you got the throttle unstuck?

My wife said its me or my sleds... Im sure gonna miss her

·
Registered
506 Posts
sounds to me like you have no compression man, if you pour a little gas into the cylenders and have spark, she should start up and turn over a few times, unless you have no compression. Also, stupid as this may sound, check for mouse nest in the airbox, if there is one, that's yer problem, and she's not getting enough air to fire.

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all,

Thanks for the help...got her going!

Seems just waiting a couple of days and pulling her over a couple of times per day did the trick :) Not sure why it finally decided to start but it did. Last time around I pulled for about 10 mins and got the slightest little gig...knew I had it then. Took about 10 more mins then vroom.

So, sometimes I think snowmobiles are like women. You gotta leave em alone for awhile so they appreciate you :)

Cheers,

Chiefkp

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
If you left it, then it worked, it was more than likely flooded, which means you have a choke, or needle and seat problem, or floats.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I Love B&M Coasters.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Did you know that if your belt is too tight in the clutchs that your sled will be very hard to start which can sometimes lead to flooding which makes everything worse. If the problem comes back before you pull and pull lower the belt in the secondary which will give you slack and try it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts