Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 XLT and i just bought it this season. When i bought it it ran fine but this was before it was below freezing. I went to start it the other day and it started for about 30-40 seconds then mutterd out. It hasnt started since. It has spark and compresion is good. It runs of starting fluid but then stops after initial start. Thinking water got in the gas and froze some where in the lines what can i do

·
Registered
690 Posts
check your fuel pump, or maybe you have a frozen fuel line

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Are you getting gas into the carbs? You say it runs on starting fluid, so that could be a fuel issue. Clean the carbs and then try it again.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Same thing happened to me in one of my Indy 500's. Water in the fuel filter froze. Put a trouble light next to the filter for 20 minutes & it started right up.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Originally posted by crazystang98
[br]where is the fuel filter on the xlt
On my '97 XLT, it was right behind the air box.

·
Registered
394 Posts
as posted by bigwedgie, is the fuel on???

·
Registered
78 Posts
Try draining the carbs, then open the 3 small (8mm bolts I think) on the front of the engine block, under the exhaust manifold. You may have some "gunk" in there or a whole bunch of unburnt fuel/oil.

The needles and seats went on my XLT SP and it caused the fuel to run almost continuously and flood the engine. If you have gas and crud in the carbs and/or block, suspect the needles and seats.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
No brand bashing, as it says in the Site Policy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
if your not a polaris guy, then you shouldn't be in here in this section of the forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts