Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sled wont start....and i dont have a clue why! It turns over,it has spark to both plugs,its gettin gas.I rode it for about 50 miles last weekend and it ran PERFECT.Just yesterday i went to start it becasue we got some snow and i was gonna tear up my yard a bit...and the damn thing wont start![xx(]Any help would be greatly apprechiated![?][:(]

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
hmm thats funny if u have good spark and its getting gas..Is it getting gas to the carbs???try new plugs and pour just a little gas into each sparkplug hole and see if it fires..hope this helps a little..

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put new plugs in alrady....I tried stater fluid in the plugs,still not even running for a second.ill check if it is getting gas eveywhere tom.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
even though it has spark it might be weak so your cdi box could possibley be a factor...

·
Registered
85 Posts
check to be sure no water in gas! could be from condensation, or a bad batch of gas.
good luck

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
ahhhhhh good ole needles and seats. if you have the drain plugs in the crankcase pull em and see if it pours out gas.if not then hold throttle to the bar and crank away

·
Registered
197 Posts
sounds flooded to me....if the plugs are wet and you cant drain the case: pull the plugs, hold throtle WOT ,crank a few times, reinstall plugs, WOT pull a few times...repeat as necesary.
if it fires first pull then dies this method is good at clearing a bad flood but very streneous..be very sure you have spark first. rotate fresh plugs

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok.....i pulled the plugs out,dry as a bone.I held the throttle wide open,pulled it over about 8 time...nothin what so ever.Tried it again...nothin.So whats happenin is that the fuel isnt gettin to the spark plugs.How do i fix this??!

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
yeah pull carbs and clean with plenty of cleaner and compressed air. if thats not available try boiling them that works quite well. replace fuel filter, chack all lines for leaks, buy a fuel pump rebuild kit. while carbs are apart replace needles and seats anyways.never hurts to be safe [:D]

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a similar problem and I had some bad gas and the fuel pump was frozen, a few minutes with the hair dryer and I was good to go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same problem, with my 700 rmk It turned out to be the trottle cable had frayed down by the oil pump cause the pump to not go back to idle postion and too much oil mix to start. So you might want to check the cable

·
Registered
105 Posts
Woah woah woah, before you go taking everyting apart, do a few simple tests.

1) compression
2) try to start normally, see if plugs get wet
3) check for a visible spark

The throttle wide open doest do anything but add air to the mix. Wont richen a damn thing unless the engine is turining rpm's. Use the choke to try to get the plugs wet.

Start here, dont spend 150 in parts.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i dont plan on spending over 50 bux.First off i have a preemix so mrbundy that probably isnt whats wrong.If u read up rotaxatax i have a spark,the plugs are dry as a bone. I know the problem,gas isnt getting into the plugs.Therefore there is a pluged something.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pull the fuel line off the output side of the filter, gas should poor right out, if it does pull the carbs and see if gas is in the bowls, if not pretty much has to be the fuel pump, if they do, it's gotta be in the carbs. Try and get it in a warm garage for a while, It took me quite awhile to get all the ice out of my sled, for awhile every time I went to start it in the morning I had to put the hair dryer to the fuel pump. But we had a long stretch of below 0 weather.

·
Registered
331 Posts
yepper, same problem,...ICE in the lines, was going to use dry-gas treatment but thought better of it, didn't know how that effects the pre-mix ratios....so I used a hair dryer instead. I know that this happens for a couple of reasons.....either during a warm spell and the tank was not topped off, so condensation appears on the inside of tank....or, get bad gas with water in it.....OR, you keep a sled inside a heated/semi-heated garage and then ride and it gets cold...all good ways to get water in gas....if I knew what reactions putting dry-gas in tank would cause with the pre-mix ratios or if there was any problem with that, I would probably use it more often......hope this helps....if your problem is NOT a mechanical one, then I would look to the water in fuel problem especially if it WAS running recently and you did not notice any issues.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts