Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got into a spitting match with some clowns on a local snowmobiling web site. IDIOTS! There was a big stink by some ignorant people about when you can snowmobile in NY. The problem is that hunting season ends December 1 and with the way the weather is going, it looks like we will be sledding in November. Hopefully. Some people were saying not to ride the state trails until hunting season is over. B.S. I pay to register and insure 2 sleds here in NY and I am going to get the most riding in a year that I can. I am also a hunter. What I could not get through to these people is if some clown hunts right off a main road or sled trail, than hes not hunting. Hes a lazy, dumb s.o.b. The Adirondack park is the largest state park in the U.S.A. Over 6 million acres! There are thousands of acres for hunting that are not next to a state trail. In NY the riding begins when there is enough snow to ride. There is no set date by the state of NY as to when it begins and ends. If some local municipalities set timeframes as to when you can and cant ride, thats ok and within the law. But dont tell me I cant ride because hunting season is still going on and we should be courtious to the few idiots who hunt next to the trail. I dont think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Yeah screw'm, run there dogs over too.

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think you had better check the regulations in your state.In MIchigan where i live,snowmobiles and ATV's are restricted to hours of 10 am to 2pm during the 2 week firearm deer season.
Rich

·
Registered
36 Posts
AMEN! The Adirondacks are huge. Why not do both? I think you've got a point.

Where do you ride by the way? As far as I'm concerned - the moment the gates to trail 10 and trail 2 are opened it's fair season.

2000 SXR 700. Haven't been on it yet and can't wait!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rich, yes I checked the law here in NY and there are no dates set by the state. The dates you can ride are set by the clubs, counties and municipalities that take care of the trails. They must maintain the trials no later than Dec. 15 thru March 1 in order to qualify for trail fund money.

Mooseman, I ride from the Great Sacandaga Lake all the way to Old Forge. There are trails in Speculator that I ride quite a bit and up in Indian Lake that go thru the Moose River Plains to Inlet that are great. I live 6-7 miles from the Great Sacandaga Lake and do most of my riding there. Once a year some friends of mine and me go to 'Oh Canada' for 4 or 5 days riding. We usually start from Grand Mere or St. Donat and put on anywheres from 500 to 800 miles in that time. Last year was a bummer as I only put on 400 miles and did not go to Canada for the first time in 5 years. Hopefully this year will make up for last year.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well there's at least three inches up there this morning!

2000 SXR 700. Haven't been on it yet and can't wait!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Im against hunting at all. Its not cool to kill a defenceless animal. Around my parts the fools sit motionless 20 feet up in a tree for hours and wait for an unsuspecting deer to wander by. After they murder it from a few yards away, they rush home to brag to any fool that will listen about what a great hunter they are. The reason there is too many deer is because these same hunters or thier forfathers eliminated the natural preditors. The natural preditors took only the sick and injured. these people look for the biggest healthest animals as a "trophy". The advantage that humans have over deer with thier high powered rifles makes the sport laughable to me. Try hunting one with no store bought weapons then you might impress someone with your "trophy buck" except you probably wouldnt get one. So thanks for letting me vent. And to answer your post NO I dont think hunting and snowmobiling mix.

Reasonable people adapt to the world around them....Unreasonable people try to change it.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Not to mention the dogs that they beat, cage, and don't feed for months. Some guys one weekend drove down our cottage driveway, with there pickup and they had dogs in the back, My dad walked out to there car with a gun, and told them that if ever saw one of there dogs on our property that he would shot it, the first chance he had. Never saw them again.

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Why shoot the dog. Its just doing what it was told... and for that matter why "run over thier dogs" Its almost always the owners fault when a dog is in trouble. When you have a dog, you and only you are responsible for it at ALL times.

Reasonable people adapt to the world around them....Unreasonable people try to change it.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Well, I can't let this one go.....I wish I could, but I can't. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but come on man, don't you think you're stretching it a little bit here?

I deer hunt, always have, and always will. I'll admit that there are plenty of idiots out there like what you describe, who's only intrest in hunting is dropping the biggest buck (or more than one illegally) and bragging about it. Makes em "feel like a man" and blah, blah, blah.

But believe me, hunting isn't as easy as some people think. These animals certainly aren't defenseless. No they don't have guns, but with the power of their hearing, and their keen sence of smell, more often than not, they detect you and head in the opposite direction before you even see or hear them. That's the truth!

A lot of it's just luck too; being in the right place at the right time. I've been hunting all my life, I'll be 32 this month, and the last deer I shot was back in 1989! Granted I don't hunt as much as some do, but you get the idea.

You are right in the fact that the reason there are too many deer around is because back in the late 1800's and early 1900's we took out one of the deer's major preditors, namely the timber wolf. There's been some talk about bringing them back, but that's a topic for another time (and probably the off topic section......sorry Pman and Erik).

My feeling is in order for anyone to say that "hunting is wrong, no matter what" had better be a vegiterian, and not possess any leather products (eg. shoes etc). If you had any idea how they slaughter beef cattle, you'd be sick to your stomach. There's a mechanism that drives a spike into their head which doesn't always kill them immediately. The whole process is in assembly line fashion, with the cattle being lead right in. No one thinks about this when they pick up their package of hamburg and steak at the nice white, clean and safely removed supermarket.

I'd rather take a deer with one well placed shot. The deer dies immediately and I've got meat with out any added hormones for the year. Yes, again there are the jackasses out there that fire at the first sight of brown and wound the damn deer. These people need to be "re-educated" if you take my drift.

Hunting is something I grew up with. As a kid I remember being sooooo excited when my dad said I was old enough to go hunting with him. Getting up early in the morning, having a big breakfast, and heading out in the woods. A nice crisp morning with the sun just starting to come up.....those are things memories are made of. If I don't even SEE a deer while I'm out hunting, I still just enjoy being out there, the smell of the leaves, the scenery, the sounds, I love it.

Sorry for making this so long, but it just sounded like you had such a one sided view of hunting and hunters in general. All I'm asking is for you, or anyone else out there that feels that way, is to maybe have a little more tolerance and understanding on the topic. Hunting is not wrong or malicious, and neither are all hunters.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
412 Posts
Seems that this topic has changed to a pro/con hunting rant so I will therefore add my $.02 worth.

I don't really have a problem with people hunting in an ethical manner, although it's not something that I could personally do. I do enjoy target shooting and skeet shooting, and have done so at our local range. I couldn't put a living breathing creature in my sights and pull the trigger. That's just me.

But to me, the idealology of hunting is as a form of sustanance and survival. I agree that there is a definite degree of hypocracy with those who are against hunting, yet the conditions in slaughterhouses are out of sight/out of mind.

What really bothers me is those who will hunt/fish yet will not eat wild game/fish. They either just kill and leave it there, or justify themselves with the thought that they are giving away the meat/fish and it is therefore being used, but what is driving this need to kill in the first place?

jmho.

jacqui.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I see your side too Tfin. The memories paragragh is nice. Ever think about shooting them with a camera. You could have the same experiences and memories with out the violent ending. You got me on the cow issue. I dont have a come back except that cows are domesticated and raised for food. The real issue for me is how they are hunted. One on one stalking around a huge woods doesnt seem as bad to me as camouflaged roost hunting, drive hunting or hunting with dogs. Oh well, like you said, we all have our opinions. At least we both love snowmobiling. Talk to ya later, Hotrod. By the way Jacqui, this is no rant. It is a conversation and posts always change as they go along. Sorry if this bothers you.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by hotrod:
I see your side tooTfin. The memories paragragh is nice.
[/quote]

Heh, heh......bet everyone got all teary eyed on that one hu?
To be perfectly honest with you, I take no joy in the actual "killing of the animal". I enjoy everthing about it except that one part.

I hate seeing those stupid hunting shows on TV that are in these private fenced in ranch lands. The deer are fed, and the guys are in these treehouses, you see nothing but HUGE bucks. The guy shoots one, and its "good job, good job" absolutely assinine!

Yeah, I could do the same thing with a camera I suppose, but it wouldn't make buying my beef at the market any more humain. It still happens, and I don't want to give up meat. As Homer Simpson would say, "Mmmmmmm.....steeeeeaaaak, aaahhhhhhh".

I don't know. Funny this all came up now, as tomorrow is opening day for deer season here in Maine.

Yup, sleds.......the universal language here. Later.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by hotrod:
Why shoot the dog. Its just doing what it was told... and for that matter why "run over thier dogs" Its almost always the owners fault when a dog is in trouble. When you have a dog, you and only you are responsible for it at ALL times.

[/quote]

Okay, probably because this is typed, things come across differently. But anywho. I love dog/animals. So does my family. And my dad does hunt, quite abit. But the dogs that they use around are place, are trailed killing machines. They are not safe to be running around while there are childern there...

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
243 Posts
Don't want to get to deep into this, but we all need to share resources. I am all for sledding while hunting season is open, but be courtious of the hunters you encounter and don't terrorize the country where they are hunting. They have a right to be there to.

Hunting is a heritage and is something very special to a lot of people. Much like snowmobiling is to us. Anyone who thinks it should be stopped because they don't agree with it has a narrow view in my opinion. That is basically the same argument that anti-snowmobilers have in Yellowstone.

It is good that the issues get raised because it causes progress, but don't think that you aren't doing damage by spreading your 1sided opinions because you are. In the same way I would be if I was talking to non-snowmobilers and telling them that we are all a bunch of drunken crazy people riding to fast in the ditches and killing people!

You don't have to believe everything you think!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Wow this is getting serious. As you may or may not have noticed I backed off a little after reading Tfins post. I said that the styles of hunting I have observed bothered me not necessarily hunting in general. The methods used nowadays and the weapons available im sure dont reflect the heritage of hunting. Anyway as mentioned earlier its only an opinion. I would and do speak out against those drunks ruining our sport you were mentioning. Not talking about it wont help. Anyway enough said. neither of us are going to change our minds based on what the other says. Enjoy your hunting but give the little suckers a chance.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys, and girl, are all right. I'm 36 and have been hunting since I was 14. I also have been snowmobiling since I was 4. I love both. When I hunt, I go to places that have no roads or trails back in deep woods. I'm there with my family members and mother nature and like Tfin said, its beautiful. Almost made me tear up reading your article Tfin. But if anybody asks, it was just something in my eye! When I sled, I take in all the scenery and enjoy every moment with my 'buds' and family. I enjoy both sports and know that most of the time, riding season here in NY does not start until mid or late December, so hunting season is over then. But this year looks like its going to be an early one, so I talked about doing both and some people where I live exploded about the topic. Last time I open my mouth on that topic around here! Thanks everybody for just letting me vent.

P.S. - Tfin, no more tear jerkers!! OK!!

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I used to hunt when I was a teen. Nothing serious, ground hogs mostly to help the farmers. One day I blasted a coon out of a tree. I was using a .22 and the first shot didnt kill it. It sceamed and cried like a baby as I pumped two more shots into it to put it out if its misery. They didnt kill it. It continued to scream as it slid down the tree trunk where i finally managed to kill it. I stood there in shock as these feelings of supreme remorse set in. What a senseless waste. That was the end of hunting for me....... Sorry about the detail, but I wanted people to know that im not some turkey who never held a gun.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Hunters and snowmobilers are both outdoorspeople. Somewhere there is some enviromental wacko that has never seen the beauty and remorselessness of nature that would like to keep all of us from enjoying the pursuit of our respective traditions and hobbies and keep us out of the woods altogether.

Let's not give them the satisfaction of seeing us arguing over what is the best way to enjoy the outdoors.

·
Registered
837 Posts
maydaze. you said you were a hunter, do you still hunt? i was wondering because you only mentioned the scenery.

can one of you hunters explain the point of hunting and why we need it? a lot of things i here is that you don't like the killing part, and seeing the animal die. a lot of people say then hunt for the meat and then they don't have to pay for it at the store. heres a question, how much did that gun cost and all the gear some hunter have?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts