Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change the slide suspension springs on a 1985 Yamaha 540 XLV ( one of them broke) is this something I can tackle fairly easily? Any tips?

TIA

Rob Chaisson

·
Registered
172 Posts
You probably already know this, but when you go to drop your axle so you can put the new spring on, take all four springs and put them in the relaxed position so they don't have any tension on them. That way you're not fighting the spring pressure when you go to put the axle bolts back in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since the right slide suspension was broke for a while, I did not own it at the time, the Track wore big time on the left side and also it is the orig with 3500 miles on it so it needs to be changed. How much work is it to change the whole Track?

·
Registered
172 Posts
A paddle track. If you're going to put a paddle track on it instead of a stock track, you'll probably have to change out your driver sprockets on the drive axle. I'm not 100% sure about that though with a Yamaha.

To change out tracks you have to pull your drive axle & suspension. While you have it all apart, you should put new seals & bearings in the front axle and go through your suspension & shocks. Check out your gear case since you'll have that apart as well, probably be a good time to throw a new chain on it.
It's a project, but shouldn't take you more than a weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts