Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im putting new slides on my extra 10 suspension. There is a little plastic piece on the front of the rails. how close should the slides be to them? mine are about 1" and a half off from them where the holes line up. will it hurt anything?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
did yo get the right slides?? they should almost touch that, the slide should run the entire length of the rail.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there actually longer then the rails,but thats no big deal, ill just cut them. its just the two stock holes they drilled out dont line up with the hole in the rails. There sno stuff and were designed for extra 10...i guess

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Aftermarket parts can be good or bad...sounds like you got the later. Make them work or send them back.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You have to cut both ends. I just replaced the slides on mine. Line the hole up in the front and put a mark where it meets the rubber tip. Cut it at the mark and where they end at the back. They do that so they will fit many makes and models of sleds as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
80 Posts
hey, not sure if you already cut the slides, but I just did the same thing on my 01 xc sp and I bought slides from a racing shop and he looked up the parts and said they are universal up to 144 or something like that, I could be off. But I had to cut mine as well. I left the original hole in the end due to it being recessed in the plastic, then accounted for the slight curve of the slide and had a buddy cut it after marking it for lenght on the original slide. I then just cut the extra off the end with the bolt hole in it after lining it up with the original slide after the first cut. If you already cut the slides, no worries, best of luck.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
speeddemon383 said:
You have to cut both ends. I just replaced the slides on mine. Line the hole up in the front and put a mark where it meets the rubber tip. Cut it at the mark and where they end at the back. They do that so they will fit many makes and models of sleds as far as I can tell.
he is right some aftermarkets you have to only cut one end some you have to cut both.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
how did you ruin them?

should slide them on insert screws, measure excess, remove, cut, reinstall. done.

·
Registered
80 Posts
ditchbanger24 said:
well i ruined both of them. How do you guys do it? could someone explain in detail please...
ok, ill do my best...i might go into too much detail..but here goes: I kept the old slides, took the new ones(aligned on the old ones with the bolt holes in the same place..granted you are going to have overlap on the new ones simply align the holes.) and put a C-clamp on it to attach it to the original slide, or you could put them both in a vice-make sure they are even. This is done to ensure they are both stable and not going to move on you when you are cutting them. I then had a buddy cut the slide-the end with the bolt hole on it, cut even with the old one SIMPLY:(cut the excess off the NEW SLIDE while lined up with the old slide) with a sawzall (spelled wrong im sure) while I held it on a flat surface to steady the cut. I decided to not cut the angle but you can try if you want..best bet would be to cut the excess off first, then take the angle off of the OLD SLIDE and mark it on the NEW SLIDE..and if you can use the C-clamp or vice to hold the slide still for the cut. Hope this helps, if not let me know and Ill try to re-word some things or perhaps some other guys on here can clarify or give ya better ways...just tellin ya how I did it when I put rail extensions on. Good luck! [NeedSnow]

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
sorry snowman69 I couldn't help but laugh that you have ride ak in your pic and your not even from ak. It made me lol.

cut the front of the slides to langth so the holes will line up.
then cut the back off where the rails end.
put bolts back in, done.

you want the gap between the hiphax and the plastic peace on the rail to be as small as possible.

·
Registered
80 Posts
crdude said:
sorry snowman69 I couldn't help but laugh that you have ride ak in your pic and your not even from ak. It made me lol.

cut the front of the slides to langth so the holes will line up.
then cut the back off where the rails end.
put bolts back in, done.

you want the gap between the hiphax and the plastic peace on the rail to be as small as possible.
crdude,
ya, I'm not from AK but I lived there for four years and had the time of my life...so needless to say I miss every thing about it!! and living in WI is just a joke compared to that place..sorry to all those WI lovers. But there is something to be said about those mountains..awesome doesn't even come close to describing it! But ya I suppose that was worth a good laugh.[thumb]

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Cut hifax on a miter saw. You can make perfect cuts that way, and make the fancy bevel on the back. If you screwed up, you can make a new hole in the front by making the countersunk hole with a small paddle bit, and then using a regular bit to drill all the way through..

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I didn't read anywhere that the high side of the profile should be to the out side of the railes, so that the track guides rub the high side of the hyfax profile. Other wise two cuts and done.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
The ones I have bought I had to re-drill the hole for the front bolt and cut the excess off of the back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts