Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 indy 400 that has been a great extra sled. Always starts and runs great and a great beginner sled for friends and relatives.

This year I noticed a small amount of antifreeze on a area of the block just down from the pump. I have never had the pump off so wondering of there is a seal that goes bad over time on these?

·
Registered
591 Posts
there is an o-ring that is on the round part that slides into the block I think, I know thats how it was on my 650, I do not remember if I ever took the waterpump off of my 440. Replace the belt while the pump is off too.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
^yup, there is also an o-ring (seal) under the back cover of the pump too. Clean up the hole in the head with a scotch-brite pad and check the seal right behind the pulley too.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try to get the O ring tomorrow and hopefully that is the issue.

Is the seal behind the pulley a o ring as well?

Is there a rebuild kit for the water pump?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Polaris waterpumps are non rebuildable, it is a sealed bearing behind the pulley. Get the waterpump belt from the dealer while you are there, the one for my 650 was only 10 bucks, that is cheap piece of mind to me.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Make sure your not gettn a little trickle leak from a hose while your checking....on a storm i had i thought that the water pump was leaking and it ended up being a hose clamp that was a touch loose. Try all the easiest frist then start tearing stuff apart...just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems to leak more when it sitting then when its running. Small puddle in a nook of the block dries/burns up when running and stays dry until a few days later I see the puddle.

Need to stop by a dealer for the O ring. Like gto0209 said its quick and easy to get to.

Thanks for the responses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts