Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 Polaris Indy 500 EFI. When I bought it, I got 2 clutch springs with it, one for the mountains and one for around here (ditchin in Iowa). What is the difference between the 2 springs? How can I make sure I have the right one in for riding ditches? Is there anyway I can increase my takeoff speed, right now it my sled won't lose traction at all at takeoff, not even in powder. It takes a while to get up to 10-15 mph and then it's like the clutch really grabs and that's when the track actually gets loose and kicks up some snow.
From what I read the guys here are geniuses so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
First thing to check is to make sure your belt isnt worn out. Make sure the top of the belt rides 1-2 millimeters higher than the secondary clutch sheeves. There is an easy adjustment for this if your belt is worn just a little. There are 3 bolts in a triangular pattern on the end of the secondary clutch. Loosen these bolts and turn the "cam" that they are holding. Turning it one way will move the belt up in the sheeve and turning it the other way will move it down deeper into the sheeve. I would guess this is your major problem. If you cant get the belt to ride higher than the sheeves of the secondary clutch, its time for a new belt. Hope this helps a little.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion, now all we need is snow so I can try it out and see if that will fix it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
What color primary springs do you have? Are they OEM Polaris springs or aftermarket, like erlandson? Your stock Polaris spring is gold (100-280 lbs). The next step up in a stock spring is blue (120-285 lbs). If you go with an erlandson spring, the first spring would be white (125-280 lbs) and if you want some high engagement, like 4500 +, it would be black (145-280 lbs). What does your sled engage at right now? Also how many miles does your sled have on it? Make sure your belt is not worn and is sitting up just above your secondary like 'Big T' suggest. The stock secondary spring in your sled is super soft. If you feel like your sled is upshifting to fast, try going up one hole on your secondary to make it a little stiffer.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My sled has 3900 miles on it, and I have the yellow clutch spring on. I adjusted the cam as far as it could go, but the belt was still below the edge of the secondary clutch sheeves. I bought a new belt but I couldn't get it on. What works the best to get the belt on, do you guys have anytricks?
Is there anything I can do to get more low end, or do I just have to try to ride the mid range as much as possible?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like you got belt problems. If you can't get the belt to sit out of the secondary, your starting out already shifted out of your lowest gear ratio. Make sure your belt deflection is right. Should 1 to 1 1'2 inches. To change your belt just lock your brake and twist the inside sheave of your secondary while pushing the belt down at the same time. Then you should be able to pull it around the secondary. Once you get your belt right there is tons of clutching that you could do to improve your performance. But a sure fire way to get response on the lowend would be to drop a gear or two. Talk to your dealer and he can tell you what your top speed should be with all the gear ratios that you can run in that chaincase. Gears are cheap and easy to change. If you don't want to spend the time or money on doing your own clutching just get a kit from a performance shop like EPI.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
3500-4000, that sounds about right for a stock XLT. Quote me if i'm wrong. I think it also says on the underside of your hood.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
you could gear down a little. also check the wieghts pins and rollers, i had a roller crack on the old xlt and it gave a boggy take off and than at 15 it went like a rapped ape. take the secondary apart and check the buttons and helix.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good point madcow. Simple little overlooked things like pins and rollers could also cause a problem like that. I had some clutching headaches last year that ended up being a seized roller. Also secondary buttons are often forgotten.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts