Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last winter I installed the SLP High flow airbox on my Indy 600 mod sled....what I didn't realize was how much it really robbed me of power on those powder days....so this year I'm thinking of taking the creative approach and customizing my cab to help it breathe better...

I was thinking on the lines of cutting 3 holes of diameter 2" next to the speedo and tachometer in the ole' 95 wedge cab...once the holes have been cut I plan on adding a thin layer of stock airbox foam over these small holes to prevent any water/snow from getting inside...kind of a homemade Flowrite.....what my questions are.....would this actually help it breathe better?.....is the hood strong enough to be cutting it?.......and lastly I heard something about one guy using pet screen to make a new mesh hood....could pet screen serve as an alternative to the foam to prevent water/snow? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated....

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
If you want the best airflow, I would just spend the 30 bucks and buy the 4" flowrite and remove your speedo....that's what I'd do if I had the slp airbox........also two other flowrites down and to the side of the tach and speedo. Or for the two small ones just do your above metioned idea cut the holes and use airbox foam. About the pet screen, I don't know what type of material it is but, flowrites are like a fine silk-screen or something along that line. So if there similar then I suppose they would work....

·
Registered
874 Posts
I took the tools out of the toolbox and cut a hole in it and the lid then put three layers of humidifier foam between the two.

You were given the option of getting the 900 1M's without the speedo installed. They gave you a cap to fill the hole. I cut the center out of this cap and glued stainless mesh to it. I also moved the tach to the right side of the dash so that the hole was over top of the airbox.

In extreme powder conditions, this system allowed the motor all the air it wanted. There was a foot of snow on the hood and the running boards were jammed to the top of the seat. Sled continued to run great...no bogging at all.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Originally posted by Alaskangold
[br]Very nice Flange, I like the steel mesh...nice touch. Is that DaveB's airbox mod??
Bingo!

I've been trying to come up with a "chimney" that would connect the airbox to the dash in order to make it a "cold" air intake.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Humidifier foam?...great idea...should be able to buy that at any Home Hardware etc??

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I was looking at mod sled the other day, the guy had a 4" flowrite in the speedo hole, and a slp airbox....he had a chimmney like your talking about, think that comes with the flowrite?? You may beable to just order it seperatly from slp....something to think about maybe, or maybe he just fabed it himself???? Worth a shot though!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point Alaskangold, I've been thinking on crimping an aluminum box, possibly 4 to 5 inches in height surrounding the entire airbox to direct all cold air right from the hood ducks I will be cutting.
Lastly, Flange I have a question...How do you find the metal screen covering your speedo help keep snow out?...does any snow go in through the metal screen?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Has anyone had any experience with a hole saw and cutting cabs with them?...I'm a newbie when it comes to cutting cabs....any other tool that would be better?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Originally posted by Gnarly_Boots
[br]Lastly, Flange I have a question...How do you find the metal screen covering your speedo help keep snow out?...does any snow go in through the metal screen?
Ya know what Boots, I thought of that too. That's why a cut a circular piece of foam for the screen...ya just can't see it in the pic. It can get a little wet, but definitely keeps the snow out. The screens in the hood can be a bigger problem, allowing much more snow in. If it gets much below -10C, I duct tape the majority of them. If I don't, I have run into carb icing problems, even when running iso.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Originally posted by Alaskangold
[br]I was looking at mod sled the other day, the guy had a 4" flowrite in the speedo hole, and a slp airbox....he had a chimmney like your talking about, think that comes with the flowrite?? You may beable to just order it seperatly from slp....something to think about maybe, or maybe he just fabed it himself???? Worth a shot though!
Is this the chimney you saw? It looks like its made from nylon or something like it. I like this idea.
http://www.slp.cc/AC_Catalog/ac_pre-filter.html

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
No, that's just a little bootie..a fabric filter to help keep even more snow out. I didn't really look at it to hard, but it was black, and somehow fixed to the bottom of the hood. It was maybe 4" long, it was tapered, the end was maybe 2 to 3" in diameter, then got bigger towards the base(connected to hood)...So when you shut the hood, it slid right into the airbox, and the base was maybe a little bigger than the airbox opening so it sealed it when shut....kind of make sense??

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ah...so it was connected to the opening in the hood, not to the airbox. I gotcha now. I always thought of connecting to the airbox. I've got to figure something out. One nice thing about the dash opening the way it is...it sure works good for heating up and defogging your helmet/goggles when stopped...without opening the hood. There's alot of heat coming up through it off of the engine.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Originally posted by Gnarly_Boots
[br]Has anyone had any experience with a hole saw and cutting cabs with them?...I'm a newbie when it comes to cutting cabs....any other tool that would be better?
Hole saws make pretty good circular holes...it would be hard to improve on them. I've also used my Dremmel tool for cutting holes in hoods. Thats what I used to cut the holes in my airbox.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts