Snowmobile Fanatics banner

SLP carb needles for Ultra

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  sinjin588 
#1 ·
OK guys, I got a set of SLP high RPM pipes for the Ultra, and SLP doesn't make their needles anymore. SLP said the problem was that nobody had a needle with the curve they wanted, so they made their own. I'm curious to know what you guys are running and what may be some issues/concerns with running the stock, or other, needles. Going on a long shot: if anyone has a set they would like to sell, I am interested lol.

Thank you all, your time is much appreciated.

#2 ·
Originally posted by sinjin588
[br]OK guys, I got a set of SLP high RPM pipes for the Ultra, and SLP doesn't make their needles anymore. SLP said the problem was that nobody had a needle with the curve they wanted, so they made their own. I'm curious to know what you guys are running and what may be some issues/concerns with running the stock, or other, needles. Going on a long shot: if anyone has a set they would like to sell, I am interested lol.

Thank you all, your time is much appreciated.

#4 ·
Originally posted by clemdude
[br]I run psi pipes and as far as i know i have stock needles with a holtzman ataac system. i wonder if you can get away with the stock ones too? Have fun man these machines are hilarious fast when set up.
Well I know I can probably get away with the stock ones, a lot of people run them. The problem is I'm probably gonna need the curve of the SLP needle to get the fuel at the right spot in the RPM range. I just don't know how much different the SLP one is from stock and how much it can affect performance. Like you said "hilarious fast when set up" and I like to get them set up just right [8D]. Thank you, your experience helps.

#6 ·
psi made a set of needles too. they are the way to go to set up right. ultras had a mid range lean spot. but its not really a problem, just go a size bigger on recomended jetting. i always tend to error to the safe side. but yes both companies made there own needles. ultras are a rare breed and yes very fun once set up. no its not a necessity to have htese needles.

#10 ·
Originally posted by bigwedgies
[br]are you talking psi pipes or needles. because the slp pipes are actually proven a few more horsepower. im a psi person myself i think they sound alot better, but the slps are dynoed at more horsepower.
I thought he was talking about needles since that is what my post is about lol. Now that you say something, that is a good question.

#12 ·
Originally posted by 98xc700
[br]are you still looking for the slp needles my buddy has a set off his ultra he mite be willing to sell ill ask him tomorrow
Well I think I am having a few sets made by a place in Cali that does a lot of race bike work. I have heard good responses from people who had needles made by them. Let me know anyway though. Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

#13 ·
[br]are you still looking for the slp needles my buddy has a set off his ultra he mite be willing to sell ill ask him tomarrow
do you think you could get a picture of the slp needles? i have them in mine and they look just like the stock ones but thinner, i am now wondering if i got ripped off!
thanks

#16 ·
I had SLP send me the prints for their needle and the dimensions are quite a bit different than that of the stock one, or even a close Mikuni one. It is really hard to see these differences with your eye, but the profile of the needles are different.

#18 ·
Originally posted by sinjin588
[br]
[br]are you still looking for the slp needles my buddy has a set off his ultra he mite be willing to sell ill ask him tomorrow
Well I think I am having a few sets made by a place in Cali that does a lot of race bike work. I have heard good responses from people who had needles made by them. Let me know anyway though. Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

Yes snake, they're supposed to have them finished in the next week or two. I'm having them made per SLP's prints from titanium because of its better wear properties, and its also light.

#21 ·
Originally posted by Sno-X-treme
[br]
I'm having them made per SLP's prints from titanium because of its better wear properties, and its also light.
Yes, because those needles sure are heavy, especially since you gotta have 3 of them! How much is it costing you to get them made?

Wanna share that spec sheet you got your hands on?
HA HA, yea I wasn't really concerned with the weight. I was just pointing out the differneces of titanium over stainless or aluminum, which would be other materials to concider in that application. I would have been happy with stainless (because weight really isn't an issues there) but it was a choice between aluminum or titanium.

#23 ·
Originally posted by 8liter
[br]i know you said you were having a set made but if that doesn't work out,i have a new set of slp needles still taped to the instructions.
Thank you, I appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.