Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have slp pipes on my 680 triple and I am removing the muffler if it sounds good and not to ratty I am going to turn them out the side any input on this has anybody here ever done this sort of thing the person doin the fabrication of the pipes did it to his 800 with micara pipes and it sounds great you can hear it four valley over the ridge

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
That sounds just peachy. I hear land owners and eco-freaks just luv loud sleds, the louder the better, right?

I got a better idea. Why not just skip the pipes all together and run some flex pipe right into your helmet so you can breath the fumes AND hear how loud your sled is.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is wrong with you wake up on the rong side of the bed maybee you are one of those eco freaks 4 stroke lovin **** get off of my back for soundin awsome tree hugger

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Not a good idea, remember louder does not mean faster. You need some back pressure that the silencer provides and if not jetted correctly you'll grenade your motor.Excessive noise noise is exacly why we are losing trails and riding areas every year.

In additon to that, you will be breaking the law.
This excerpt was taken from a Utah snowmobiling site:

The SSCC independent certification program covers every vital component of the snowmobile; electrical, lighting and brake systems; alternate starting system; emergency control; brake and throttle controls; fuel system; reflectors; handgrips; seat; shields and guards. The SSCC standard sets maximum permissible sound levels of no more than 78 dB(A) + 2 dB(A) at 50 feet when the snowmobile is traveling at full throttle and no more than 73 dB(A) + 2 dB(A) at 50 feet when the snowmobile is traveling at 15 mph.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Please do not remove your silencer. It ruins it foreveryone else, I like having places to ride and giving the greenies more ammo for land closures is not a good idea. Don't be an idiot cause thats how you'll be looked upon by fellow sledders that witness the obnoxious sound of your sled. P.S. It doesn't sound good, and after spending 2hrs on the sled you won't think so either. I don't like 4 strokes, but its people like you that are going to make them the norm.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I'm going to leave the sound issue alone.
The reason you should not do it is because the pipes were designed to run into a can that provides the correct back pressure to keep the pipes at the right temp to get the most out of your motor. If you would like it to be louder buy an after market stingers they too are designed to give proper back pressure & jetting recommendations. I am not recommending making your sled louder. But if you decide this is how you want to go, you might as well make more not less power in the process. It looks like you may be in an area where your riding could be mostly off trail in the mountains (being from UT) I know nothing about the area but try not to piss off the locals it really isn't good for the sport.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Originally posted by childsplay
[br]what is wrong with you wake up on the rong side of the bed maybee you are one of those eco freaks 4 stroke lovin **** get off of my back for soundin awsome tree hugger
Land closures due to excessive noise and trespassing, is a serious issue where I ride, it may not be where you do. So whenever I see a post on how to make my sled loud, I cringe and get a bit defensive.

You are right though, I am one of them 4 stroke lovin ****...when it comes to dirtbikes and vipers that is.

I wish you the best of luck, just please do not bring that sled into my neck of the woods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts