Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a chance to purchase some slp power dome heads for my xlt at a really good price.The book says that you will get about a 5 to 8 hp gain by adding the heads.I know nothing about these so I have a few questions .I did a search but couldn't find to much on them.

Will I have to rejet?
and will I have to use premium fuel or octane boost ?
with all the trouble I have had in the past I am leary about adding them .If it is just a simple bolt on item then I will go for it.Any info would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Not sure about 5hp. Maybe 3 hp at peak. You should not have to rejet but there will be a need for premium fuel.

·
Registered
282 Posts
those are good heads for the xlt,i put a set on a friends with triple pipes and it ran forever,even with more compression they are safer than the stock heads and i think the were between 5-8 hp you wont be sorry you bought them,

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead and got them the sled is at the shop now getting them installed. I had to order a shim to lower the compression a bit.Without the shim it would have been way to high.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not for sure on actual performance yet but I just bolted a set to my ultra and according to slp there is no need to mess with jetting. You do have to run premium but they say 5-8 horse and in a 1000' a four sled length increase. Gotta finish putting the pipes on and wait for the snow

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Originally posted by bacon
[br]I went ahead and got them the sled is at the shop now getting them installed. I had to order a shim to lower the compression a bit.Without the shim it would have been way to high.

are the heads cut? because last year i was about to buy a set of slp heads that give a xlt 180 psi compression, after talking to Jim from SLP he said they never made heads that give that much compression and they were mostlikly cut.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't think they are cut.The guy that does work on my sled ordered them in about 6 years agao for a guy and he never showed up to get them.He put them in his garage on a shelf,and just found them the other day.They wre still shrink wrapped in the box.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
^^^^ are you sure they are going to add compression?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He called Slp and they told him the 580 needs a shim or the compression would be to high.He said they will increase the compression.I got them for $100 Canadian installed . Don't know much about them but I will take all the hp I can get without having to add triple pipes and mess with the jetting etc.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
well let us know how you like them and if you notice them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts