Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
enjoyed the site today, i discovered it this morning :) i have a 96 xlt sp x-tra, it's been a pain right in my arse this weekend, must be the warmer temps, anyway..it has slp pipes, anyone know of a slp website or info on them, not sure of the jetting..i just cleaned the carbs (again) ugh! and found there was 3 different sizes in there! is that normal?
thanks and happy riding :D

·
Registered
957 Posts
Here's SLP's site: www.slp.cc

look under the tech info link on the right.

Sure doesn't sound normal to have 3 different jets to me..... Unless the engine was rebuilt and the cylinders where bored out to different sizes (The only reason I say this is i remember reading a post recently about some guy who had to have one cylinder bored out 0.040" than the other...scarring I guess)...

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
It Could be normal to be running 3 different jet sizes. It has to do with how hot each particular cylinder runs, which is directly affected by coolant flow. so if one cylinder always runs hotter than the others you run a little bit larger jet to cool that cylinder down a little bit. Easiest way to check is to "read your spark plugs" after a wide open throttle run. Basically you want the insulator to have a cardboard brown color. If its darker, go down 1 jet size until you find the right one on each cylinder. If its too light of a color you you to get a larger jet or risk a meltdown. If the plugs seem to foul out in the midrange raise the e-clip on your mixture needle one notch (thus lowering the needle). Just my thoughts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks to all, i did find and download the tuning manual from slp, i had her set pretty close, i think i had some contaminated gas...dumped in some dry gas, new plugs, and off in a flash again! i was worried there for a while, thought i was going to have to tear the old girl down! with snow on the way! lol happy riding:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts