Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently ordered o-rings and new base gaskets for my 03 edge x 8 and when i disassembled it, to my amazement there was some oil, looked like brown, black and was really slick...i wiped it all up from the pistons and parts of the crank. i didn't want to split the cases and clean it up. so i just took off the bottom two bolts that let it drain.
after reassembling it, i let it run...after a short trip around town..i stopped to take a look at the coolant level. there was some smoke coming out the airbox. not very thick smoke but seemed to be a fine mist. it didn't smell like coolant. just like burnt oil. i took a look at the plugs, there was some white spots on the sides of the tip and the electrode. what could be the cause of this? i haven't touched my 800 since i have a bad lower back and hope to recover soon. any suggestions and ideas?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
You should always have a little oil in the airbox.. If there's a lot, I'd look for weak reeds.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was dumbfounded when i seen a little bit of white smoke coming out the box. i was wondering why it was doing that. i beginning to think that my carbs are clogged somewhere, causing a lean out. hence the white patches on the plugs...

·
Registered
378 Posts
The thing that is giving you smoke might be caused by weak reads and exhaust coming back thru the carbs. What does it smell like?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it smells like oil. there was alot of oil in the crankcase but was drained through those two small brass bolts on the bottom. i'll do some diagnostics on it once my back is better.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
There should always be oil in the bottom of the crankcase... It gets splashed around and lubricates the engine. [thumb] When a lot gets in there while it's running, it will get burned and cause blue exhaust.

There should always be a tiny bit of oil blowing back into the airbox too, if the oil is injected at the carbs instead of the bearings. If there's a lot, then you need to look at bad reeds.

Exhaust will never make it back to the airbox. The white fog you're seeing is either oil or fuel or both. If there's a lot, and you've already drained the crankcase look at the reeds.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i see, that's good to know. there wasn't alot of smoke coming out. just a bit. i'll look into it tho. thanks for the info guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts